Transferring Plam data to Sony Ericsson P800 via a Mac.

Discussion in 'Apple' started by zoara, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. zoara

    zoara Guest

    Wow. Sorry for the crosspost, but it really *is* relevant to all groups!
    If there's somewhere better I can ask this, please let me know.

    I've just bought a Sony Ericsson P800 and would like to transfer the
    *huge* pile of data that I have in my Palm m500. But as the P800 isn't
    well supported on the Mac.

    So far, I've managed to beam my contacts from the Palm via Record ->
    Beam Category. This works, except it loses multi-line entries in the
    addresses.

    As an aside, I'm unable to beam contacts into a specific folder, which
    is annoying; so far I've put off beaming the *big* categories over
    because the thought of manually opening every contact and changing the
    folder from "Unfiled" to "Whatever" is filling me with dread. Can I
    batch-move contacts from one folder to another?

    What I don't seem able to do is copy over
    - All the datebook entries in one go
    - All the ToDo tasks in one go (Beam Category just transfers *one* task;
    I can't see how it has picked that particular task either)
    - All the Memos (Beam Category will copy it across, but all the memos in
    a particular category are munged into one text document)
    - All the NotePad documents (I don't hold out much hope of this but it
    would be nice; the P800 has no viewer for the files)

    It would be nice if I could do this as simply as possible, but if I need
    to faff then so be it. So long as it's less effort than writing it all
    out again in my P800!

    What I did wonder is whether I'd be able to install Virtual PC and
    install both the Palm and the P800 under that; using the Windows
    software for each to do the actual transfer. Has anyone used either the
    P800 or the Palm under VPC?

    Or is there some file conversion utility for either PC or Mac that will
    let me do the conversion from Palm to P800?

    I'm not able to use the P800 properly until all my data is transferred,
    and it's kind of annoying :(

    Thanks in advance,

    -zoara-

    zoara, Sep 22, 2003

  2. zoara

    az_dude Guest

    The release of iSync 1.2 is EXTREMELY CLOSE. It will support the P800, and
    will definitely be the simplest all-in-one solution for your Palm, P800, and
    Mac. Wait a few days. At most. :)

    www.macrumors.com

    -az_dude

    az_dude, Sep 23, 2003