Transferring Windows XP and software to new PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Benny, Aug 16, 2007.

  1. Benny

    Benny Guest

    I want to upgrade my current old P4 to a new dual core MB (P35 perhaps) with
    new SATA HD and 2Gb RAM.

    I intend buying the box with only the MB and RAM installed as I have a spare
    brand new SATA HD to install myself.

    I then want to transfer the Windows XP licence over to the new PC or if this
    isn't legal then install the old IDE HD with the current XP licence and all
    currently installed software on the new PC as is.

    My questions are these:

    1. What is the best way to get my current XP licence, along with all current
    installed software, from the old PC onto the new PC? I am sure people
    upgrade their PCs regularly and don't want to have to re-install XP or worse
    still have to re-install all the software again. This would of course mean
    installing XP so that all current upgrades install as well. I do have
    Acronis True Image installed so am thinking I could copy the image onto the
    new PC - is this possible?

    2. With a new PC, is it possible to simply move the old IDE HD (containing
    the operating system and all software) to the new PC and it will simply boot
    up OK and all installed software will operate OK as well.

    My preference is to make use of the new SATA HD and have all software
    transferred from the old IDE HD to the new SATA HD.

    regards

    Benny

    Benny, Aug 16, 2007

  2. Benny

    Jan Alter Guest

    Hi,

    If you were moving a Win '98 system the idea of bouncing the hard drive
    from your old machine to the new one might be considered. But because you
    are essentially building a new system with XP it ought to be installed
    fresh. Some folks will tell you that you can get away with it to do a
    'repair install' but it is a 90% probability that there will be hardware
    issues that remain unresolved. Doing the fresh install will also eliminate
    any errant software issues that were held on your old system.
    That also means installing all your programs again.
    Once all installed you can attach your old hdd and simply copy the data
    to the new one.
    Copying the Acronis image to the new PC will not get you happiness. Take
    the trouble to do it right.

    As to whether you can legally transfer the license from your old machine
    to the new one is a matter of whether you have an OEM license that is only
    licensed to install XP on the old machine or a retail license, which
    absolutely allows a new install onto a new system. Aside from that , if you
    have an OEM license then you still might legally be able to get away with it
    and get Microsoft to validate a 'legal' install onto your new system.

    Jan Alter, Aug 16, 2007

  3. Benny

    John Doe Guest

    That isn't right. Many upgrades do not benefit by a reinstallation of
    Windows. A new mainboard should include a reinstallation.

    I'm guessing that one of the reasons you don't want to do a clean
    installation of Windows is because you do not have backup copies of
    important files from your hard drive. I hope the other suggestion
    about copying data from your old hard drive isn't encouraging a bad
    practice of not keeping removable media copies of important files.

    Make a fresh copy of any important files from your hard drive,
    immediately.
    This might not be here and now, but it could help in the long run.
    As far as I know, you can make images of Windows XP with Acronis True
    Image. If it isn't too difficult, making hidden copies of your
    Windows/programs and learning how to keep important data on removable
    media (and to restore important files from the removable media copies)
    can make a world of difference. That practice (if it isn't too
    difficult) can free you from typical restrictions of PC use.
    Reinstalling Windows becomes much easier because you can do it right
    by making incremental backups of the installation.
    Sounds like you really really want to avoid the necessary.

    Good luck.

    John Doe, Aug 16, 2007
  4. Benny

    Benny Guest

    Thank-you all for your recommendations.
    A fresh install of a new XP licence along with new install of all software
    seems the only way.
    regards
    Benny

    Benny, Aug 17, 2007