    able o see a comparison of the older 4200RPM and the newer 5400RPM
    Travelstar. Has anyone seen the data? Recommendations?
    Thanks.

    Dr Lou, Apr 27, 2004

  2. Dr Lou

    arnb Guest

    I recently replaced my OEM 8Gig, 4900RPM(not a typo) IBM drive with the Hitachi
    TravelStar 5k80-40, that's a 40Gig, 5400 RPM with an 8meg buffer, totally quiet
    here. All I can say is this drive has made my aging Dell Inspiron 7000, 300mhz
    machine fly.

    Since the HD is one of the slowest devices in your system, I would suggest
    getting the fastest HD I could afford that works with your hardware and BIOS. A
    comparison of Hitachi drives is available here
    http://www.hitachigst.com/hddt/Dlocator.nsf/comptool/comptool

    Arn

    arnb, Apr 27, 2004