    functional)? Anyone ever heard of this before?
    TIA,
    Tony

    tbone88, Nov 25, 2005

  2. tbone88

    Fixer Guest

    You can start by removing the memory and see if you get any error beeps ,
    same with removing the HDD but in reality a no boot no post situation
    usually indicates its a motherboard problem, and unless you really know what
    your doing then the only way forward is with a new motherboard

    Fixer, Nov 25, 2005

  3. tbone88

    tbone88 Guest

    Time to shp for a new board...

    Thanks for the info!

    tbone88, Nov 26, 2005
  4. tbone88

    Siroco Guest

    First at all you must be sure that your AC adapter works. Something is
    defective and laptop continues working until the batery is discharged.
    Later you must be sure that there is no lights at all. Look the Tree
    status leds (Bloq num, Caps lock and scroll lock) while you are
    pressing the power button.
    0-1-1 means memory failure
    0-1-0 means Processor failure or MB defective
    1-1-1 usually is the MB defective

    Other possibility is to try power on the laptop without the memory
    door. There was an old issue with defectives memory doors that makes
    the laptop fail to post.
    Also you must try to power on the M50 without bay modules inserted
    (sometimes a defective bay could be the cause of No POST)
    Other possibility... the modem... you must to disconnect it physically
    (not only unplugging the internal signal cable. To do it there is a
    single screw in one corner of the modem that attach it to the
    Motherboard.
    Regards

    Siroco, Nov 26, 2005
  5. tbone88

    Markeau Guest

    FWIW I've had an Inspiron 5000 for about 5yrs. About a year ago and
    again a month ago it would not power up. Press the power button -
    nothing. Reseated everything, tried another good battery and AC
    adapter - nothing. Pressed the power button at least 50, maybe a
    hundred times - and then all of a sudden it powered up and has been
    fine since.

    Markeau, Nov 27, 2005