    the home-based ( server side) will control the "arm" in remote area , remote
    "mine sweeper" .... , robotic ....etc.

    we need learn to "arm" and gcc in order to survive.

    Mylinux, Oct 19, 2003

  2. Mylinux

    Gary Kato Guest

    we need learn to "arm" and gcc in order to survive.
    You have all of 1 year (if that) of experience in embedded programming and
    you're telling the rest of us this? The ARM is fine for some things, but not
    for others. There is no one Magic Bullet solution in the embedded world.

    Gary Kato, Oct 19, 2003

  3. Mylinux

    Mylinux Guest

    I think solve all problem.

    Mylinux, Oct 19, 2003
  4. Mylinux

    Henry Guest

    Surely the trend is toward ARM (low-cost, many manufacturers, good
    architecture) but we all leave small steps in the sand behind us (8051 and
    others) :)
    - Henry

    Mylinux schrieb in Nachricht ...

    Henry, Oct 19, 2003
  5. Mylinux

    Zonk Guest

    Interesting thought. However, the one time I looked at ARM, they asked
    us for a $1m license fee to use it in a custom IC. Goodbye ARM! Try
    Renesas.com , they make the best low power high spec microcontrollers
    (H8 and M16); ARM is probably better if you can afford it, but my line
    of business would use under 50,000 units a year, so ARM is not cost
    effective.

    Zonk, Oct 19, 2003
  6. Mylinux

    Fred Abse Guest

    WTF does all that mean?

    Fred Abse, Oct 19, 2003
  7. Mylinux

    Chris Hills Guest

    No so.... but then I have seen some road maps :)
    Yes arm all over the place.
    Arm yes... Gcc not entirely true.

    \/\/\/\/\ Chris Hills Staffs England /\/\/\/\/\
    /\/\/ www.phaedsys.org \/\/

    Chris Hills, Oct 19, 2003
  8. Sorry I must disagree 100%, I am on a project now and the whole thing
    plastic enclosure, circuit board, LCD, and all componenets must cost $3 or
    less, and it needs a MCU, should I too use an ARM?

    Richard.

    The Mind Factory INC, Oct 19, 2003
  9. Mylinux

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    Crap, like everything else you post.

    regards
    pete

    Pete Fenelon, Oct 19, 2003
  10. Not quite. The real impact of devices like the Philips LPC21xx will
    be on the 16 bit space.

    Key parameters are pin count, and price.

    Smallest ARMs are 48 pins, and in the region of $5 - both
    well above the average pincount/selling price of 8 bit devices.

    The same process savings that move ARM down, also move
    smaller devices down.
    Right now, 80C51 are moving comfortably sub $1 in FLASH @ 8 pins,
    and also adding high performance Analog. (but not for the $1 :)

    There is a trend for more capable cores to replace simpler cores
    as process improves, but the 80C51 is not exposed much to ARM at
    the top end, and is feeding on the simpler cores ( PIC et al)
    at the sub $1 point. Thus 80C51 is growing.

    Learn 80C51 _and_ ARM :)

    -jg

    Jim Granville, Oct 20, 2003
  11. Mylinux

    Mylinux Guest

    u mean "arm" is a crap?

    Mylinux, Oct 20, 2003
  12. Mylinux

    Kelly Hall Guest

    Model T cars are totally obsolete. Flintlock rifles are totally obsolete.
    Steam locomotives are totally obsolete. Millions (if not billions) of 8051
    processors are sold every year. You might want to look up the meaning of
    the word 'obsolete'.
    Interesting idea - any facts or data to back up it up?
    I sure wish there were small controller core modules built on the ARM that
    compared favorably in price to other architectures. Until there are, ARM is
    likely not going to make significant penetration into the industrial control
    marketplace. It's great for cell phones, though.

    Kelly

    Kelly Hall, Oct 20, 2003
  13. Mylinux

    Ian McBride Guest

    we need learn to "arm" and gcc in order to survive.
    I say gcc yes.. arm not entirely true.

    Ian McBride, Oct 20, 2003
  14. Mylinux

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    No, I mean your postings are.

    pete

    Pete Fenelon, Oct 20, 2003
  15. Arm will go the way of the DoDo bird in the next couple of years.
    Actually, with the new smaller die sizes for the regular Intel type
    processors, from Intel and Via,
    ARM will go the way of the DoDo bird. The world will eventually switch to
    the Intel chips running Linux and Windows.
    Via's Mini-ITX and Nano-ITX and the new robotics board from Intel show the
    what is happening now.
    Everyone wants WiFi, and Bluetooth, a much bigger crop of programmers can
    swtich to these chips without too much trouble, plus the
    programming tools are a lot cheaper too.
    In a few years you'll need wireless internet capability for even a simple
    smart power switch at home. The security to keep hackers from screwing it
    all up
    will be what drives it all.

    Earl Bollinger, Oct 20, 2003
  16. Mylinux

    Gary Kato Guest

    Arm will go the way of the DoDo bird in the next couple of years.

    I don't think that's true either. Intel certainly doesn't think so as they also
    use the ARM architecture in their XP network processors.

    Linux and Windows? Wrong newsgroup. :)

    ARM is also being used by Motorola in their new Dragonball series of
    controllers for use in PDAs, like the lastest Palms. And I believe ARM is also
    the CPU of choice for PDAs using Windows CE like the iPaq.

    The embedded market is huge, ranging from 4-bit controller to 64-bit CPUs.

    Gary Kato, Oct 20, 2003
  17. Tell that to all the mobile phone and PDA manufactuers who are still
    pouring squillions into their existing ARM platforms. Not surprising,
    given that they shipped *hundres of millions* of ARM based processors
    last year, and have something like 80% of the market or more.
    You can get Linux for the ARM too...
    ARM is an IP core that can be applied to all these new wizz-bang ultra
    small die sizes to achieve lower power and faster speeds, that is why
    it is so successful. It is also why virtually every major processor
    maker is licensed up to use ARM cores. The only place it's going in
    the next couple of years is up the growth curve.

    Regards
    Dave :)

    David L. Jones, Oct 20, 2003
  18. Mylinux

    Dan Henry Guest

    My' sounds like he/she is in Marketing. Those folks don't
    need-no-steeenkin' facts ;-)

    On the other hand, this could be an edict from the "big guy" above,
    dictating "thou shalt" use ARMs everywhere.

    Dan Henry, Oct 20, 2003
  19. Mylinux

    Zedebee Guest

    Aha! An actual engineer amongst the opinionated students and other hoi
    polloi! Sadly, actual experience counts for little as you are doubtless
    too busy to write endless drivel here, whereas Those Who Know Without
    Doing have all the time in the world. Strangely.

    Zedebee, Oct 20, 2003
  20. Mylinux

    Henry Guest

    I cannot go with this. As someone wrote "the embedded market is very deep"
    The only thing you can forecast for the future is that the future is not as
    projected now.
    Maybe in ten years Win will run on a desktop ARM in every household? Imagine
    the power savings...
    - Henry

    Earl Bollinger schrieb in Nachricht ...

    Henry, Oct 21, 2003