Tron 2.0 - jerky behaviour

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Dom Robinson, Sep 5, 2003.

  1. Dom Robinson

    Dom Robinson Guest

    It's not officially out until Sept 19th so I'm not expecting everyone to have
    played this yet, but I was wondering if anyone could answer the question as to
    why I'm getting jerkiness once per second?

    I have a Cybercom 1571PC with P4 2.66Ghz, 512Mb RAM, 128Mb GeForce4 MX440
    graphics, WinXP, and have even set the graphics elements to low detail but
    still this is happening. Is it just badly programmed in that case or is the
    graphics card just not up to the job? It's very graphically intensive, that's
    for sure.

    I previously used a PC with a similar spec, but a 128Mb ATI Radeon 9600TX
    graphics card, but the s-video output blew big chunks, but would that have
    been able to handle this game?

    TIA,
    --

    Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
    /* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)

    Dom Robinson, Sep 5, 2003

  2. Dom Robinson

    TomG Guest

    almost sounds like something else is running in the background hogging cpu
    cycles to me. have you disabled all of the other running software and even
    AV software as a test?

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 115,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    right."

    TomG, Sep 5, 2003

  3. Dom Robinson

    Blaedmon Guest

    Its always amusing to see posts like a game running badly on someones Pc and
    them asking 'is it badly programmed?' or something ;) TRON2.0 is a
    msterpiece - I think they've done a great job of capturing the Tron universe
    in it.
    As for what could make it play average on your Pc, I guess there could be a
    number of reasons - firstly I would say your graphics card. MX440? I'm not
    sure, but check the games min system requirements - perhaps it needs
    something a little faster, although with low details turned on it'd suggest
    something other.
    Another thing to check for is remove ALL background programs running. Any
    antivirus stuff is always a cpu-cycle hog, etc.
    Check your cards functions - do you have AntiAliasing on full or something?
    Also defrag, you never know - another thing could be your memory. Some games
    rely on memory much much more than others, and an example of this is C&C
    Generals. If you have average ram, the game will crash - yet you will have
    no problems whatsoever on other games.
    Lastly, remove all nvidia drivers using NastyFileRemover (from
    3dguru/guru3d.com) and reinstall the 44.03's. This is just a troubleshooting
    method. Worth a try.
    Let us know how u go.

    right."

    Blaedmon, Sep 5, 2003
  4. Dom Robinson

    Mangyrat Guest

    ill never understand why some one buys a P4 2.66Ghz, 512Mb RAM, and puts a
    low end video card like the gf 4 mx 440 in it.
    --
    If life is a bitch then live it like she is drunk and naked.

    FIGHT BACK AGAINST SPAM!
    http://mail.giantcompany.com

    right."

    Mangyrat, Sep 5, 2003
  5. Dom Robinson

    Athura Guest

    its your video card, gf4 MXs are basic/budget cards

    Athura, Sep 5, 2003
  6. Dom Robinson

    Helion Guest

    Anytime someone hear has a problem and see's it a MX card they always assume
    its a video problem..... I have the GF4/MMX440 and it runs Tron 2, IL2
    Forgotten Battles, Unreal 2003, BF1942, MOHAA, NOLF2, C&C Generals and many
    others at high video settings with no problems whatsoever. (30fps+). The
    MX440 is was originally rated at 270 core/ 400 memory with bandwidth of
    6.4GB/sec. It sucks at AA/AF but so does most of the non-FX nvidia cards.
    problem lays somewhere else, IE spyware, old drivers, etc... Even my
    Celeron 900 with this same card was more rthan sufficient.

    Helion, Sep 5, 2003
  7. Dom Robinson

    Dom Robinson Guest

    I didn't. That's the one it came with, but while the same thing with the ATI
    card was £799, this was £598 from Staples (sold out now). It also doesn't have
    the TV card but I've never had serious need for one of those.

    Dom Robinson, Sep 5, 2003
  8. Dom Robinson

    Gary Sinnott Guest

    Call up Task Mangler, tab 2 - Processes, and set the update speed to
    high. Click the CPU column (so it sorts on that). Watch what happens
    and see if anything regularly whacks 100% or nearto once a second.
    Ignore System Idle Process as that runs up to 100% of anything the
    system isn't doing.

    If anything is chewing cycles, it will probably show up there and give
    you an idea of what background task may need a bit of a talking to.

    Worst culprits are *running* scripts (VB, JAVA, etc). *Runaway*
    scripts would take everything up to and including your mouse so it
    won't be that. If you run something like SETI @ home in normal or
    high priority, or have CoolMon with a zillion lines onscreen it may be
    an issue.

    If it ain't that, then I'm outta ideas,,, sorry.

    Good luck,

    Gary

    (BTW... I've got a generic MX440 in one machine, a GF3 V8200D in
    another and an original GF256D in another. They run great in the
    machines they're in - and like dogs if something goes screwy like a
    script or summit. Unless the drivers are FUBAR, it ain't the video
    card.)

    Gary Sinnott, Sep 5, 2003
  9. Dom Robinson

    johndevoy Guest

    They use a double render technique to get the glows, the MX will be
    seriously crippled on fill rates.

    johndevoy, Sep 5, 2003
  10. Dom Robinson

    Dom Robinson Guest

    I'll try the game again later tonight. Can I ask what settings you have Tron 2
    set to? Ta.

    Dom Robinson, Sep 5, 2003
  11. Dom Robinson

    Dave Guest

    Actually it came out Aug 26th. In the US at least.
    It runs great on my AMD XP2200+ and GF3 Ti200 at 1280 X 960 and everything
    set to high.
    check to see if you have AA or AF enabled or if there are other programs
    running in the background.

    The game really is beautiful and fun but it is too short and the multiplayer
    sucks.

    Dave, Sep 5, 2003
  12. The Demo Plays perfectly on my system, with my ADSL connection live, AVG &
    ZA free running as well as Weather Watch,
    System

    XP Home SP1,
    Gigabyte GA-81DX Intel 845 AGPset
    P4 1700Hz
    640 SDram
    40 G Western Digital HD
    20 G OEM WD HD
    RealTek Ethernet card connected to 4 port Netgear DS104 Hub
    US Robotics SporsterFlash Modem
    Thomson Speedtouch 330 USB Modem
    CD/DVD player
    CD/CDr/CDrw
    SoundBlaster Live Card
    Geforce 4 MX460 64MBram Graphics
    17" Samsung SyncMaster 753 DFX monitor
    USB Canoscan Scanner
    USB Canon S300 Printer

    I think there must be something up with your system!

    --
    Paul Woodsford
    Remove ****NOSPAMPLEASE**** to Reply

    Paul Woodsford, Sep 5, 2003
  13. Dom Robinson

    Dom Robinson Guest

    Just tried shutting a few things down, pared down some more of the graphics
    options and got it running fine (Norton AV 2003 still running though).

    Then I upped the graphics options bit by bit up to full strength and then it
    still worked fine.

    Then I got blasted to death, several times over, by some green blokes. I'll
    try and find out what's going on first before I play it again though. There's
    no manual accompanying it for me to RTFM with :)

    Dom Robinson, Sep 5, 2003
  14. Dom Robinson

    Dom Robinson Guest

    Just tried shutting a few things down, pared down some more of the graphics
    options and got it running fine (Norton AV 2003 still running though).

    Then I upped the graphics options bit by bit up to full strength and then it
    still worked fine.

    Then I got blasted to death, several times over, by some green blokes. I'll
    try and find out what's going on first before I play it again though. There's
    no manual accompanying it for me to RTFM with :)

    Forgot to add, ta for all the input on this one.

    Dom Robinson, Sep 5, 2003