Trouble installing Panther in a B/W B&W Blue and White Blue&White Blue & White G3

Discussion in 'Apple' started by MaddMannMatt, Nov 19, 2004.

  1. MaddMannMatt

    MaddMannMatt Guest

    I have been trying desperately to get Panther installed on a B&W G3
    and have had limited success.

    The config of the G3 is this:

    -Firmware updated to latest (v1.1)
    -256 RAM
    -Adaptec 2940U2B SCSI card with ONE 20GB SCSI Hard Drive
    -OS 9.2.2 installed on existing SCSI HD

    I added an 80GB ATA133 Hard Drive to the empty ATA chain with an
    80-wire cable and the drive is set for Cable Select. This is what
    Panther was SUPPOSED to be installed on. I usually recommend that
    people buy an ADDITIONAL hard drive to install OS X on because if
    anything goes wrong with either individual OS (9 or X) you don't have
    to worry abt nuking BOTH systems that have been installed on a single
    drive and you still may have a useable system while the other is
    either repaired or replaced. Just a safety measure.

    As was suggested in the "Read Before you Install.pdf" on the Panther
    installation disc set (yes, I have the 10.3.2 APPLE CDs and not
    copies) that for a B&W you should terminate the external SCSI
    connector. I did this but only after I did the following.

    Here are descriptions of all of the failed attempts to install Panther
    from CD:

    Attempt #1

    -First installed the IDE drive with a 40-wire cable and set the drive
    to Master/Single.
    -Formatted the drive MacOS Extended
    -Could not boot from the Panther CD. It could not be selected from OS
    9.2.2's Startup Disk ctrl panel

    Attempt #2

    -With drive still set as above, attempted to use external FW DVD
    Writer to boot from.
    -Could not boot from the Panther CD. It could not be selected from OS
    9.2.2's Startup Disk ctrl panel

    Attempt #3

    -With drive still set as above, placed Panther CD back in CDROM of B&W
    and held down "C" key.
    -Booted from the CD (DUH!)
    -Began installation of Panther
    -After all of the preliminary checks and loads that the Panther
    installer does, it errors out saying that there was a error in that
    installation and that I should try again. Gives me the option to
    restart

    Attempt #s 4-6

    -Tried 3 more times using the method above with same result.

    Attempt #7

    -changed to 80-wire IDE cable.
    -used method described in Attempt #3
    -Same results as Attempt #3

    Attempt #8

    -kept 80-wire IDE cable and changed IDE drive jumper to CS from
    Master/Single
    -used method described in Attempt #3
    -Same results as Attempt #3

    Attempt #9

    -removed IDE drive and placed in FW housing, then connected to B&W's
    FW port
    -80-wire cable in the housing and kept the CS setting on drive
    -used method described in Attempt #3
    -Same results as Attempt #3

    Attempt #10

    -Same as above Attempt #9 with drive set to Master/Single
    -used method described in Attempt #3
    -Same results as Attempt #3

    -Attempt #11

    -With drive still in ext FW housing, cloned a prepared image of
    Panther onto drive using a different machine.
    -Placed drive back in the B&W, 80-wire cable, drive set back to
    Master/Single
    -NOTE: the OS X drive shows up as a hard drive when I boot into OS 9,
    and can be seen in the Startup Disk ctrl panel as a bootable drive.
    -Selected the new IDE drive with the pre-installed Panther install and
    restarted.
    -Panther starts up and let's me log in, goes to Finder, but when I
    attempt to go the the boot drive (the new IDE drive with Panther on
    it) it opens the window for that drive and then pinwheels for
    eternity.
    -I can force quit the finder, but then all I can do is restart or shut
    down. If I attempt the above again, the same thing happens.

    -Attempt #12

    -Fashioned an external SCSI terminator from a 68 to 50-pin adapter
    connected to a 50-pin to 25-pin adapter connected to a 25-pin
    terminator (which should work as a good terminator) since I have no
    68-pin terminator proper.
    -Panther starts up and let's me log in, goes to Finder, but when I
    attempt to go the the boot drive (the new IDE drive with Panther on
    it) it opens the window for that drive and then pinwheels for
    eternity.
    -I have to pull the plug this time and cannot quit the Finder.

    So, now I am at a standstill. This was SUPPOSED to be easy. I have
    no clue what to do next other than clone what is on the SCSI drive to
    an IDE and ditch SCSI altogether. I have no clue why this was built
    with the SCSI card in it to begin with and why the boot drive was not
    IDE. It is a home-use machine and it has no need for a SCSI device at
    all. OR, I could try to find an 80GB SCSI drive instead of an IDE,
    but this is more expensive. I would LIKE to NOT have this person
    spend MORE money than they already have.

    Any idears?

    MaddMannMatt, Nov 19, 2004

  2. MaddMannMatt

    Mike Guest

    <long tales of woe snipped>

    I would remove the SCSI card and try the install. SCSI support in OS X
    is weak at best.

    I have 10.3.6 on my B&W. The install has always been painless, but
    it's all IDE. I have an extra IDE/66 card in a PCI slot, so I have 4
    physical drives - a 6 gig, two 10 gigs and 60 gig.

    It also has a G4/500 Sonnet CPU card and a flashed PC Radeon 7000 video
    card. Everything works fine.

    Mike

    Mike, Nov 19, 2004