    500 P3. You can get the BIOS update here:

    http://tinyurl.com/gg91

    Chris

    c, Jul 9, 2003

  2. c

    j328driver Guest

    Hi,

    Can anyone offer any advice or thoughts:

    I have an AX6BC motherboard (i440BX chipset, BIOS ver. 2.59) that was
    running a P2 (SL28R) at 66Mhz fsb/233Mhz core. I'm trying to get it to run
    a P3 (SL365) at 100Mhz fsb/500Mhz core.

    When I plug in the P3 and start it up, the post goes ok, the HDD starts to
    chatter, but then the boot locks just after the first Win98 screen comes up.

    If I change the CMOS to boot off the CD ROM, it never even gets the system
    started (just get a blank screen).

    I've tried resetting the CMOS (jp #14), and I've checked that the video AGP
    is set for auto (should auto detect the 100 Mhz system bus). I've got PC100
    and PC133 SDRAM in the sockets (196 Meg total).

    When I put the old P2 back in, it starts right up! It seems like changing
    to the 100Mhz bus is causing some kind of problem, but I can't figure out
    what. It's particularly frustrating considering how fast I've read that
    some of you are running this board!

    j328driver, Jul 9, 2003

  3. c

    extractor Guest

    You have the newest bios, 2.59. Make sure it is installed properly.
    The other thing you can do is clear the cmos, by placing a jumper (a
    flat head screw driver will work also) over jmp 14. located behind
    the bios chip. Do this after installing the new cpu, and before
    turning it on. Then enter the bios and check your settings. Never
    heard this problem before. I have the same mobo running a p3 tualtin
    celeron 1.4 GHz using a slot-t converter from upgradeware.com Amazing
    what the old board can do still.

    extractor, Jul 9, 2003
  4. That certainly is odd. I can't think of anything else to
    try other than manually setting the AGP clock to 2/3 [JP23
    3-4 closed] instead of Auto.

    I've got an early revision AX6BC running a 1.4GHz
    Celeron-T with a Powerleap adapter. It originally had a
    300A and I never thought the platform would last this
    long. Solid as a rock.

    Also, try starting 98 with the bootlog feature enabled to
    see where it's hanging. Maybe it's just a software/timing
    problem.

    Michael J. Apollyon, Jul 11, 2003
  5. c

    Skier Guest

    How about the RAM. Is it PC 100 or 66. You should make sure it is 100.
    And ditto the post below. We upgraded two of these boards to 1.4 tualatin
    Celerons at work on these boards. Run really fast. You can get an ATA 100
    card too to really make it fly.

    Tom

    Skier, Jul 19, 2003