trouble with athlon xp 3200+

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Paul, Jan 9, 2007.

  1. Paul

    Paul Guest

    XP Model 10 2200 (3200+) OPGA 200 512 11x 1.65V 85oC 60.4W
    1833 (2500+) OPGA 166 512 11x 1.65V 85oC 53.7W

    There is little difference between the 2500+ and the 3200+.
    When plugging a 3200+, you set the CPU clock to 200MHz, which
    makes the front side bus run at FSB400.

    There is so little difference in fact, that people have been
    known to "pass off" 2500+ processors as 3200+. All it takes
    is a little "relabeling" operation, and changing the sticker.

    In theory, the BSEL pins on the bottom of the processor, are
    supposed to be encoded to select 200MHz automatically. There
    are two pins, with four possible binary values. They should
    correspond to 100, 133, 166, 200Mhz, for FSB200, FSB266, FSB333,
    and FSB400. I've always been puzzled why so many 3200+ owners
    have to set the clock manually, when the BSEL pins should
    be doing the right things automatically. Maybe it is a BIOS
    issue.

    On the AthlonXP, the one characteristic that cannot be "fudged",
    is the model number. The processor should report "model 10",
    which maps to "Barton" when the right utility is used to convert
    the model number and cache size, to the popular name. The
    other characteristics are controlled by the bridges on the
    top of the chip. Overclockers have been making various mods
    to the bridges in past years, and there have been cases
    of various kinds of frauds that involve bridges. One
    clever method of modifying bridge settings, is to use conductive
    paint, on the underside of the processor, to join two pins
    together. Then, they paint over the conductive paint, with a
    paint which matches the color of the processor base material.
    That is a pretty convincing fake. Sometimes the label they
    stick on the processor, uses a slightly different font, or
    one letter looks different than a genuine label.

    I'm not saying you've been duped, but buying a 3200+ is
    dangerous, because the 2500+ bridge-wise, is so close
    to being useful as a 3200+, right out of the box. All
    they have to do, is apply another label. And hope that
    the user is not surprised, by the need to set the
    clock manually.

    At one point in time, some major retailers were selling
    relabelled processors, and we don't know whether they
    knew they bought fakes or not.

    So anyway, just set your clock to 200MHz and enjoy your
    new processor. Since your motherboard uses Nforce2, you
    should test memory integrity with memtest86+ (memtest.org).
    That is because Nforce2 is picky about RAM, and sometimes,
    when you move to FSB400, the RAM will have errors. A second
    test you can run, is Prime95 (mersenne.org). That program
    is free, you don't have to "join" when the program prompts
    you, and you can test your processor and memory while in
    Windows with that program. There are even versions for
    other OSes. Prime95 is a sensitive test of processor and
    memory integrity, and if there is something wrong with
    your new setup, Prime95 torture test option will find it.
    When my Nforce2 was new, I had problems with Prime95, and
    I'd fail in seconds at first. I ended up buying better memory,
    and now that machine can run Prime95 for hours with my 3200+
    equivalent. (I used a AthlonXP-M Mobile 2600+ processor, to
    avoid the 2500+/3200+ issue, and set it up for 3200+ operating
    rate. Both the multiplier and the FSB can be programmed, with
    a Mobile.)

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 9, 2007

  2. Paul

    Swiver Guest

    Hi, I'm having trouble with my processor:

    I just baught an Amd Athlon XP 3200+ processor to put in my Shuttle
    AN35N Ultra motherboard. I'm upgrading from a 2500+. I installed the new
    3200 cpu, but my computer is still reading it as a 2500. I can't seem to
    find any driver for the 3200. Any ideas? THanks much,

    Swiver

    Swiver, Jan 9, 2007

  3. Paul

    Swiver Guest

    Thanks Paul, this is an incredibly thorough answer and changing the FSB
    fixed my problem. I didn't think I'd have to change it either, but I did,
    and now it's reading as 3200+. I really, really hope I didn't buy a relabled
    2500. Especially since the price of a 2500 is about 20$ on eBay and I paid
    160$ for my 3200 on eBay. I did, however inspect the processors side by
    side, and they did not look the same (besides the label difference). Perhaps
    it was a hasty mistake, and a waste of money. I did not realize how close
    the 3200 was to the 2500. The 3200 is the highest my AN35N Ultra supports
    and I guess I just wanted the best. I was also going to aska bout
    appropriate voltages, but I see you included that at the top of your reply
    as well.

    Has anyone here had experience with a (legit) 3200+ in the AN35N Ultra? Did
    you have to manually change FSB as well?

    Again, thanks for such a quick and detailed answer Paul. Much help :)

    Swiver

    Swiver, Jan 9, 2007
  4. Paul

    VanShania Guest

    If you would have done a little more research, you could have upgraded to
    socket 939 for the same price that you paid for that pokey slow XP3200,
    reusing your ram and video card and hard drive also.

    At NewEgg:

    CPU
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0001028+1051707439&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=343

    Motherboard
    there are 3 boards that have AGP slots- biostar, Epox and Asrock
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813138248
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157097
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813123263

    And if you can't shop at new egg, your local dealer I'm sure would have had
    something comparable.

    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice 2.0Ghz Socket 939 CPU 2000 HT FSB, 512k
    L2 - retail box $93.84

    ASRock 939Dual-VSTA ULi M1695 Socket 939 Mainboard, 4DDR-400,
    1xPCI-Ex16 & 1xAGP8x, 1xPCI-Ex1, 3xPCI, 4xEIDE, 2xSATA150 RAID, 1xSATA300,
    8Ch Audio, 10/100 LAN, 6xUSB2.0 $109.84

    --
    Love and Teach, Not Yell and Beat
    Stop Violence and Child Abuse.

    A64 3500+, Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939,AIW 9800 Pro 128mb
    MSI 550 Pro, X-Fi, Pioneer 110D, 111D
    Antec 550 watt,Thermaltake Lanfire,2 Gb OCZ Platinum 2-3-2-5
    2XSATA 320gb Raid Edition, PATA 120Gb
    XP MCE2005, 19in Viewsonic,BenchMark 2001 SE- 19074
    Games I'm Playing- NFS: Most Wanted, Civ 4

    VanShania, Jan 9, 2007
  5. Paul

    Swiver Guest

    Thanks for the info. I didn't want to fool with a new motherboard. I love my
    Shuttle AN35N Ultra. Besides, I did keep my same ram (2x 512 Crucial
    PC3200), vid card (Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 128 meg AGP 8x [not much of a
    gamer]), and hard drive (Maxtor 80gig). So no loss there. I agree, though,
    there probably were better options with 160$, but this should last a few
    years. I also plan on getting another stick of crucial 512 when I can afford
    it. I may eventually try overclocking. The 3200 now idles at around 36 C and
    maxes at about 45 C. So not too bad for stock heatsync :)

    Thanks again for the info and suggestions.

    Swiver

    Swiver, Jan 9, 2007