Trouble with Gainward GeForceFX 5900

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by EKK, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. EKK

    EKK Guest

    I have a Gainward GeForceFX 5900 Golden Sample 8x/4x AGP card that is
    giving me a lot of trouble. As soon as I turn the computer on, I see
    4 sets of vertical lines equally spaced across the screen. I see
    these vertical lines in the BIOS and in the Linux GRUB boot menu too.
    When linux takes over the boot process, the lines go away, but if I
    try to start the X server, I get miscellaneous strange behavior such
    as a number of small vertical lines following the mouse around and an
    inability to close windows. Eventually (in a matter of minutes) the X
    server will freeze up and I have to login remotely to shut the machine
    down.

    This machine was custom built for me by a builder that I've been using
    for a couple years (though I've become progressively more and more
    dissatisfied with them). This is actually the second Gainward FX5900
    card I've tried in this machine - the original card was doing the
    exact same thing so I returned it to my builder. Since I'm seeing the
    same behavior on this second card, I tried to get them to give me an
    entirely different (similarly priced such as an ATI FireGL) card, but
    they won't do that. All they'll do is replace this one with another
    Gainward FX5900. I'm not confident at all that the third card will be
    any better.

    Any ideas / suggestions?

    Ken

    EKK, Dec 17, 2003

  2. EKK

    Rich Guest

    Behavior like that is usually due to excessive heat (unlikely, if it's
    happening at boot time) or borked video memory. This is, of course,
    assuming the Linux drivers are tight. I have no clue, having only used the
    board in WinXP, but have had similar experiences with both ATI & nVidia
    boards. I would say exchange it again. And maybe mark the bad board in a
    sneaky fashion so you can tell if they're not just giving you the bad one
    back again. ;)

    I suppose another possibility is the card isn't getting enough power, but
    I'm not 100% sure it manifests like that.

    ~ Rich

    Rich, Dec 17, 2003

  3. EKK

    Dark Avenger Guest

    Maybe, just maybe... the Power Supply Unit is having a hard time. Is
    the PSU scaled good with the rest of the system!

    After all, the FX5900 takes a slightly bit more power from our system,
    it might just be tomuch!

    Dark Avenger, Dec 17, 2003
  4. EKK

    Courseyauto Guest

    Did you plug in the Molex power cable into the card,it supplies 12 volts to the
    card for the extra power it needs.
    I have the same card and works perfect. DOUG

    Courseyauto, Dec 18, 2003
  5. EKK

    william bell Guest

    Why are you using a Good 3D card on a Crap Lunix machine..?

    william bell, Dec 18, 2003
  6. EKK

    J.Clarke Guest

    On 17 Dec 2003 11:54:30 -0800
    The chance of your getting two boards with the same defect in a row is
    pretty small. More likely there's something wrong with the motherboard
    or power supply.

    As a general rule if you replace a busted component
    and the new one turns out to be busted in the same manner then the
    original component wasn't busted after all and the problem is somewhere
    else.

    J.Clarke, Dec 18, 2003
  7. EKK

    Napalm Guest

    The chance of your getting two boards with the same defect in a row is
    I was running a 3 year old P3 system which I built myself which had an ATI
    128 Rage Pro with 32MB installed. This was fine until recently when I saw a
    GF4 MX440 on sale in my local PC World, I installed it into the system,
    installed the drivers and all looked fine, until I tried to run any games.
    After a couple of minutes or less the system crashed and the only way out
    was to reboot.

    I took the card back to PC World and they exchanged it saying I must have
    been sold a faulty board, installed the new one and the same happened.

    I got a refund and then purchased an ASUS FX5200 and the same happened with
    that. I left it for a couple of weeks and then upgraded my system (cpu,
    mobo, ram, case etc) and installed the fx5200 into that and it works.

    My problem with the original system was that my motherboard had gone faulty.

    Napalm

    Napalm, Dec 19, 2003
  8. EKK

    william bell Guest

    Or you were overclocking the AGP port..

    Most older MoBo's do not have PCI/AGP locking..

    william bell, Dec 19, 2003
  9. EKK

    Napalm Guest

    Or you were overclocking the AGP port..
    I wasn't overclocking on this system. If I was I would still have checked
    the cards running at normal speeds.

    Napalm

    Napalm, Dec 19, 2003