Trouble with K8M Neo-V mobo & Radeon 9800 XT video card

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Lukas Mariman, Feb 13, 2005.

  1. I recently had my PC upgraded. I have now an MSI K8M Neo-V motherboard with
    an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ processor and 1,5 Gb of memory. My soundcard is a SB
    Audigy LS.
    My videocard is a Creative (ATI) Radeon 9800 XT.

    Which brings me to my problem. Ever since I have the new mobo & CPU, I've
    been having problems playing games.

    While in Windows everything seems to work just fine (audio, video, whatever)
    whenever I try to play a game, sooner or later the system locks up: the
    image freezes, after a while the sound hangs as well, and finally the screen
    goes black, and the monitor seems to go in standby mode.

    I have no idea what could be causing this. My first thought was, of course,
    a problem with the videocard (which up until then had worked fine). I
    removed the Radeon and tried my old card, a GeForce 4 Ti 4200. I reinstalled
    Windows just to be sure there were no leftovers from the other card's
    drivers, and tried the same game again. Sure enough, it worked fine, no
    crashes whatsoever.

    So I had the Radeon card replaced by Creative; they sent me a new one, which
    I tried out, but the crashes remained. Again, no problem in Windows, but as
    soon as I tried to play, bingo!

    (The particular game in question, BTW, is "Lord of The Rings: The Battle for
    Middle Earth". I mention this because some people have reported similar
    system lock-ups with that particular game on their PC's. The game is pretty
    demanding on the hardware, apparently. To be honest I haven't tried any
    other games recently.)

    However, it used to work just fine (albeit a tad too slow) before I got the
    new mobo & cpu, with that Radeon 9800 XT card. So why doesn't it work
    anymore? What has changed?

    So I was wondering if anyone here has had similar experiences, or any ideas
    what could be wrong. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

    Lukas Mariman, Feb 13, 2005

  2. Lukas Mariman

    Gollum Guest

    Is the RAM new? I have had a new computer crash while playing WOW and
    it turned out to be a memory problem. I had 1 GB Mushkin Level One (
    2 x 512 )PC 3200, the system would crash when playing. Using one of
    the 512's worked fine, no crashes. Maybe you could try one stick ( I
    guess you have 3 x 512) and see if it helps.

    Gollum

    Gollum, Feb 13, 2005

  3. I had similar troubles with a 9800pro on an MSI k8t master 2-far with
    dual opterons. No matter what i did with this combo, i had lockups,
    and no it wasn't memory in my case or power related. What i ended up
    doing was replacing the card with a xfx 6600gt. I haven't had one
    freeze yet. The 9800 went back in the old system with the P4 and once
    again that system is stable.

    NoneOfBusiness, Feb 14, 2005
  4. Thanks for the suggestion! I considered that. The thing is, however, my old
    GeForce 4 card works just fine in this system.
    I think I can relate to that now. :-/
    The guy from the store where I had the PC upgraded said pretty much the same
    thing - just get another card. Great. :-(

    Lukas Mariman, Feb 14, 2005
  5. Don't give up hope just yet. Go ahead and use memtest and check your
    memory. Try the latest, or older ATI Catalyst drivers. You could also
    turn off fast writes, switch it to agp 4x, etc. I have seen 9800 cards
    that just plain overheated during gameplay and caused a crash (My
    brothers sapphire 9800pro did this).

    You could always sell the card on ebay, and get you something else..

    NoneOfBusiness, Feb 15, 2005
  6. This ready exactly like the problems I had with my MSI K8N Platinum and
    Radeon 9600 Pro card. I could fix it by adjusting the BIOS AGP setting
    to 4x mode.

    Hope that helps.

    Hannes Brunner, Feb 28, 2005
  7. Thanks for the suggestion! I tried that, but found that for some reason I
    could not change the setting in the BIOS, like it was hardwired. I *could*
    change the setting in Windows, through the ATI Catalyst control panel, but
    that setting didn't seem to "stick".

    Lukas Mariman, Feb 28, 2005