    Fyi, this is rev 3.3 of the mobo PCB and the latest BIOS (7-29-04). I don't
    have any non-standard hardware.

    Any ideas out there? Thanks.

    Lee M., Jul 2, 2007

  2. Lee M.

    Graham W Guest

    Down at the bottom of the main start up BIOS screen where the drives
    log-in,
    there is a display of voltages. temps and fanspeeds. Are any showing in
    red?

    Graham W, Jul 3, 2007

  3. Lee M.

    Lee M. Guest

    Only one fan speed indicator but I think that's as much due to the sensor as
    anything because the reading fluctuates in motherboard monitor also. If the
    hard drive wasn't almost new (<6 months old) I'd suspect that because it
    sounds a little funny but it could just be a resonance from the case.
    Replaced the Athlon 1800+ with a 2700+ today and it took 2 tries to boot but
    once it did, runs fine.

    Lee M., Jul 3, 2007
  4. I'm going back to your original post on this board swap, and that second 4
    pin power connector on the 8RDA3+.
    Modern motherboards and PSU's use that second connector for CPU power.
    Although you seem to be able to get your machine to run *sometimes*, I'd be
    trying a different PSU *with* a separate 4 pin connector for the
    motherboard. BTW, the separate 4 pin connector *is not* the same as the
    extra 4 pins that can be split away from a modern 24 pin motherboard
    connector. That split simply allows a new PSU to be used with older
    motherboards that have a 20 pin connector.
    I realize that it may not be practical for you to try a different PSU, but I
    believe that connector is there for a reason. If you have a local dealer,
    you may be able to try a new PSU, then return it if it doesn't help.

    Peter van der Goes, Jul 3, 2007
  5. Lee M.

    Lee M. Guest

    My Rosewill 400 PSU does have a separate 4 pin connector with two 12v lines
    and two grounds. I will have to look at my other PC's PSU and see if that
    has one also. If so I may try the swap. The fact that it freezes on the
    BIOS boot screen would seem to eliminate the hard drive as the problem,
    wouldn't it?

    Lee M., Jul 3, 2007
  6. To reinforce what I told you, read this:

    http://www.xtremepccentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26212

    I've had failure to fully POST (frozen boot screen) issues that were solved
    by PSU replacement. Other failure to POST issues were cured by clearing
    CMOS.

    Peter van der Goes, Jul 3, 2007
  7. Lee M.

    Lee M. Guest

    I will try the CMOS clear first since that's easy. I do have the correct
    4-pin connector connected properly. It is keyed (unlike the other 4-pin
    connector). I suppose it's possible that my power supply isn't up to snuff
    even though it is new and allegedly 400 watts.

    I've just noticed something else when I fired up the nVidia system utility:
    the memory voltage is at 2.73 which shows up as red on the graph. Next time
    I reboot I will have to manually clock that down. I know I didn't change
    anything.

    Thanks for you continued assistance. We'll get this figured out yet. One
    of these days I'm going to buy a brand name PC, fully assembled and tested
    and forgot all this fussing with the home built units :)

    Lee M., Jul 3, 2007