Troubleshooting a dead Dell Latitude CPIa

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Stephen Porter, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. Hello all,

    I just turned on my trusty old Dell CPiA (PIII 366 MGHz)
    notebook the other day and got NADA.... Green light on the
    power switch goes on for about 10 seconds and goes out. No
    noises, no attempts to boot, nothing at all.

    I'm trying to figure out a way to troubleshoot this and make a
    judgment as to whether it's worth fixing or just start shopping
    for a replacment. This notebook is perfectly adequate for my
    needs--I just use it for the occasional trip out of town and for
    portable internet access via the wireless network at home.

    I can't find any reliable repair shops nearby--although in LA
    you think there would be a million of them. I called the guys
    I used to use in Orange County, but they couldn't be of much
    help, so I'm posting here in hopes of finding some direction.

    At first I thought I would replace the hard drive and check
    that, but now I think even if the hard drive were bad, I would
    still get an attempted bootup. If it's the motherboard I
    suspect that it's not worth replacing. I paid about $600 for
    this computer 3-4 years ago, so I can't imagine it's worth much
    now.

    But if it is or could be something simple, then it might be
    worth fixing.

    TIA for any pointers and/or advice.

    Stephen Porter
    Los Angeles, CA

    Stephen Porter, Sep 20, 2004

  2. Stephen Porter

    Bill Joy Guest

    Bill Joy, Sep 20, 2004

  3. Stephen Porter

    primatech Guest

    Most likely the system board. take everything off that you can, modem,
    RAM, battery, hard drive...and unplug the display if you can get inside.
    Then, powering with the AC adaptor you will more than likely find the
    same result.
    I would take a look but Brisbane Australia is some distance from you.

    primatech, Sep 21, 2004
  4. You could try replacing the CMOS battery. I have a Thinkpad that had
    a dying CMOS battery; at first it would boot but require date/time be
    reset. Now it exhibits the same symptoms as your Dell. Don't know if
    that will help - if it does, let me know! (Have a CMOS battery for my
    IBM, just don't have time to pull it out and pop it in!)

    Can you boot from a floppy or CD? I would doubt it, sounds like you
    are not even getting to BIOS (no beeps, either?)

    Working, probably around $180~$230 US depending on the condition and
    extras. You might be able to find a good mobo on eBay for cheap, but
    that's taking a small chance.

    Anonymous Jack, Sep 23, 2004
  5. Stephen Porter

    The Mailman Guest

    sounds like the dead PSU problem you sometimes have with desktop pc's...

    but in laptops it's not that easily replaced! (not 4 screws and a bunch of
    connectors)

    light on the power switch goes on for a few seconds and then ..."No

    then again, i don't know know if your laptop has a battery meter.

    could the battery be dead from not being able to be charged by the ac
    adapter?

    does the light go on and off if you just have the ac adapter plugged into
    the laptop?

    also... have you checked the output of the ac adapter to see if is is
    working?

    The Mailman, Sep 23, 2004