    i want it to work atleast for four years. I will be using it a mimimum
    of three hours a day. Please suggest which company would be good for
    the ruggedness. thank you

    kernelkiller, Oct 28, 2005

  2. kernelkiller

    Eddi Guest

    I strongly advise you not to buy ACER. Their build quality is not goo
    and the UK service operation is absolutely appalling. My Ace
    Travelmate failed after only 8 months (not used everyday) when the D
    power socket disappeared inside the laptop. The battery life ha
    already fallen by 50% and there was an audio problem as well. Ace
    refused to repair the laptop claiming accidental damage and quotin
    £341 to replace the motherboard. Research on the web shows that thi
    is a known build quality problem for many people.

    On a more positive note our company have Sony, Dell, Toshiba an
    Fujitsu-Siemens laptops. All of these are much better quality tha
    Acer. I'd advise you to look at these products. A 2004 custome
    survey by a PC magazine revealed Fujitsu-Siemens as the most reliabl
    laptop manufacturer

    Eddi, Oct 31, 2005

  3. kernelkiller

    tokaone Guest

    I bought an Acer travelmate 800 when they first came out, one of the first
    laptop equiped with a centrino processor.

    my machine runs day and night, I restart only a couple times a week.
    yes the battery will die if you let your laptop plugged in for so long
    like i do.
    tip: buy a spare battery that you use only while on trips (running on
    batteries most of the time), and the rest of the time (when laptop is
    plugged in 24/day), use the old one.. I ve been doing it for years, and it
    works great!

    I ve traveled all around the country, my laptop even fell several times on
    the hard floor.
    the machine is still going strong, still running 24 hours a day.
    never had a problem with it whatsoever (well one time I kicked the screen
    to close the laptop, after I had a 'few' beers, and yes I completely
    destroyed the LCD. I called acer, they sold me the parts separetely for
    cheap, I replaced my LCD, and the laptop is back stronger than ever even
    after receiving a ninja kick! :) )

    I guess you could be lucky or unlucky with anything you buy, but for me
    this travelmate800 has been like a buddy for well over 3 years!

    tokaone, Nov 2, 2005