Trying to get TV working on AIW-pro 128 AGP (TV player fails toinitialize)

Discussion in 'ATI' started by ATI Guy, Oct 20, 2006.

  1. ATI Guy

    ATI Guy Guest

    I've got an AIW-pro 128 AGP card running Win-98 (fully updated) with
    DirectX 9c.

    Device manager says Rage 128 Pro, BIOS date 2000/05/11, 32mb ram,

    I've run Driver Cleaner and Cab cleaner before installing the driver.

    Driver is ATI2DRAA.DRV (6.60-010926m-1476C-ATI)
    Tuner is Philips, Decoder type says "Rage Theater".

    Driver that I installed was WMER1284137192.EXE.

    No problems with driver installation, everthing is ok in device
    manager.

    I notice a note on ati's web site that mentions something about VIA
    APOLLO MVP3 chipsets (I have VIA 694X & 686A so I guess that doesn't
    apply to me).

    I then install ATI MultiMedia Center 7.2. According to ATI this is
    for XP but "should also function under Windows 2000, Windows ME, and
    Windows 98/SE". The file is MMC72noDVD.exe

    The release notes for that include this:

    "ALL-IN-WONDER family cards with RAGE THEATER, only"

    In my device manager under Sound, video and game controllers I have:

    - ATI specialized PCD WDM VBI codec
    - ATI WDM TV Audio crossbar
    - ATI WDM TV Tuner
    - Specialized WVD WDM VBI codec

    And a few other things that aren't video or ATI related

    I do not see any "theater" item in that list (don't know if I'm
    supposed to or not).

    When I try to run the TV program, a small TV splash window comes up
    (with the number 7.1 being shown) and then an error message comes up:

    -----------------
    Unable to start TV
    The TV Player failed to initialize the video. Ensure the correct
    video drivers have been installed and close any applications
    which may be plaing video such as DVD or WebTV before attempting
    to restart TV.
    -----------------

    Needless to say I'm not running any video apps and the system doesn't
    have a DVD drive.

    I've done lots of surfing and have found mention of "capture drivers"
    as well as "Video Capture Update for DirectX 8.0" from Microsoft that
    seems designed specifically for video capture devices.

    So basically, unless someone out there knows what's wrong with my
    setup, my questions are:

    - Is DirectX 9C my problem here? Should I really be using this board
    and this TV software with DirectX 8.x?

    - Is the driver OK, but I need to be running an older version of
    ATI MMC ???

    - Should I see more items in Device Manager under the Sound,
    video and game controller section?

    Thanks for any info / help.

    ATI Guy, Oct 20, 2006

  2. ATI Guy

    USR Guest

    Since they state 8.x and higher, I'd recommend installing DX8.1.

    I don't have the same card but am using a TV Wonder Pro with 98SE. Loads of
    small issues that are driving me nuts! I'll be upgrading to XP
    soon....which I know it works well with my 9600XT AIW on another system.

    I'm sort of glad about AMD dropping AIW products....it was a good idea by
    ATI but, there are just too many problems.

    USR, Oct 20, 2006

  3. ATI Guy

    T Shadow Guest

    Use the last release of the display and capture drivers from the website.
    You should use the latest chipset drivers no matter what you have.
    I'm using DX9c with W2K. Seem to recall having a problem with it before and
    having to go back to 8.1, so it may not work with W98. I can boot into it
    later and check. Run DXDiag and see if it shows any problems.
    I have an "ATI WDM Rage Theater Video" device entry.
    I'm using MMC7.7 but not because 7.2 doesn't work. Been using it for so long
    forget why.

    T Shadow, Oct 20, 2006
  4. ATI Guy

    T Shadow Guest

    Seldom use the W98 installation anymore. It has DX8.1 and the Rage Theater
    entry on it. AFAIK you'll have to reinstall the O/S to get rid of DX9. DX8.0
    needed an addition to it to add the capture part of it, making it 8.0a,
    IIRC. Use 8.1.

    T Shadow, Oct 20, 2006
  5. ATI Guy

    ATI Guy Guest

    The last driver listed for RAGE 128 / 128 Pro is:

    Windows 98/ME Display Driver build 4.13.7192
    WMER1284137192.EXE

    If you (or anyone else) knows of a more recent driver, please indicate
    that here.
    Please describe exactly what this capture driver is (and were to get
    it). The capture driver is not specifically listed on any atitech.ca
    web page that I can see.
    DXDIAG shows absolutely no problems or warnings. All tests pass.
    Hmmm. I don't see that or anything with "Theater" in it. The
    add-new-device wizard doesn't find any new hardware when run.
    Can anyone give some information as to what the "WDM Rage Theater
    Video" component is, and how is it's driver supposed to be installed?

    AFAIK you'll have to reinstall the O/S to get rid of DX9. DX8.0
    Are there known incompatibilities with DirectX-9.x and these old AIW
    boards?

    I guess I'll have to dig up some old ATI driver CD's and look for
    older versions of MMC (unless they're on-line?)

    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

    ATI Guy, Oct 20, 2006
  6. ATI Guy

    ATI Guy Guest

    Recap:

    - AIW-pro 128 AGP card running Win-98
    - DirectX 9c.
    - Device manager says Rage 128 Pro, BIOS date 2000/05/11, 32mb ram
    - Driver is ATI2DRAA.DRV (6.60-010926m-1476C-ATI)
    - Tuner is Philips, Decoder type says "Rage Theater".
    - Driver that I installed was WMER1284137192.EXE.
    - ATI MultiMedia Center 7.2 (MMC72noDVD.exe)
    - device manager (Sound, video and game controllers) says:
    - ATI specialized PCD WDM VBI codec
    - ATI WDM TV Audio crossbar
    - ATI WDM TV Tuner
    - Specialized WVD WDM VBI codec

    Problem was:

    Unable to start TV - The TV Player failed to initialize the video.

    What I did:

    Uninstall MMC 7.2, dig through my pile of ATI CD's, and install MMC
    June 2000 release of MMC (version 6.3).

    After doing that, I noticed a new entry in my device manager (sound,
    video and game controllers):

    - ATI multimedia Video Driver

    That item says that it is working normally, but says "Not Available"
    when looking at the provider and date of the driver. Under driver
    details, it says ATIPPCAP.VXD and MMDEVLDR.VXD (I verified I have both
    files).

    When selecting the Television from the MMC sidebar, it now opens and
    displays blank video. In the "connector" selection menu, I have
    S-Video and Composite. No Tuner is shown.

    In fact, after rebooting again, I notice that the "Television" button
    has changed into a "Video-in" button on the MMC sidebar.

    So it appears that MMC 7.2 is not compatible with Windows 98se if you
    have DirectX 9c.

    Anyone know what I need to do to get the tuner working?

    ATI Guy, Oct 21, 2006