    gain performance, or am I limited to some celining by the SDRAM
    memory?

    --Matt

    Matthew Mucklo, Jun 1, 2004

  2. Matthew Mucklo

    Wes Newell Guest

    Shouldn't be a problem at all. They list the 2600+/266 as compatible and
    it's basically the same core as the Barton MP's.
    Performance increase will depend on what you have now and you didn't say.
    Don't worry about the ram. That won't be too much of a limiting factor.

    Wes Newell, Jun 1, 2004

  3. Matthew Mucklo

    Buffalo Guest

    A 266MHz cpu runs on a 133MHz bus speed. (ie: a 333MHz Athlon runs on a
    166MHz bus speed)
    So, your 133MHz ram is just fine for the 266MHz Athlon cpus.
    Do more research on them and you may find a cheaper AMD cpu that oc's very
    easy and will give you more bang for the buck.
    Try the AMD newsgroup or the Gigabyte MB newsgroup for some up to date
    suggestions.

    Buffalo, Jun 2, 2004
  4. Matthew Mucklo

    Ben Pope Guest

    I take it you'll be going for an Athlon MP 'cos it has a FSB of 133MHz?

    Other options might be a Mobile Barton (if it's ok to run at the voltage
    your board can support)

    Or possibly an unlocked XP - pretty rare unless you go for a mobile.

    Well, since the processor is FSB*multiplier, all you need is an XP CPU with
    a high default or changeable multiplier - the mobile Bartons fit this
    description without having to pay an excessive premium. RAM doesn't really
    come into the equation.

    Ben

    Ben Pope, Jun 2, 2004