    server for ~$300.00. What else can I do?

    Thanks in advance,

    RickL

    RickL, Oct 28, 2003

  2. RickL

    Ron Cook Guest

    The HP print server will provide the best use of the printer's
    capabilities, but the HP product is not _required_ just to print.

    Linksys, DLink, Netgear, and SMC all make excellent print server
    devices to do just what you want.

    The Linksys three-port device retails, as I recall, for about US
    180.00. Devices with fewer ports are priced lower.

    Ron n1zhi

    Ron Cook, Oct 29, 2003

  3. RickL

    George Guest

    Just to enable printer sharing with your WinXP. Press right button of
    your mouse on printer icon, and check "share", choose "only share
    printer" and it should okey to use.

    George, Oct 29, 2003
  4. RickL

    RickL Guest

    Ron,

    Thanks for the info, but will those print servers support a HP 1115
    series printer? I thought the problem was with the Jet Direct drivers
    from HP not being compatible with other print servers...Or am I just
    confused?

    RickL, Oct 30, 2003
  5. I have a HP Photosmart 1115, 2 laptops (one running WinXP, the other
    I realize this is going out on a limb, but isn't there a simpler solution to
    this problem with the Belkin SlimSwitch that connect up to four PCs to one
    printer. It can be purchased at Staples for around $29.99. Of course you
    have to manually select on the box which computer you are using (rotate knob
    to A, B, C, or D), but this is a cheaper, simpler solution.

    - E

    Eric Scofield, Oct 30, 2003
  6. RickL

    Ron Cook Guest

    If the drivers offer enhanced features such as network scanning or
    faxing, those features will likely _not_ be available through non-HP
    printserver devices.

    The basic printservers will all allow normal print services. You will
    need to:
    1: use the included software for device configuration and
    administration, or

    2: ferret the details of IP addresses and port assignments of the
    device you plan to use. This information can be used with any
    operating system; the included software just makes it easier under
    Windows.

    Linksys, and I presume the other products, note in their documentation
    that some functions of multi-function devices may not be available
    when using their devices. They do state that regular printing will
    work just fine.

    I've used both an old Linksys three-port unit and an HP JetDirect
    three-port unit with an HP LaserJet 1100 and an OfficeJet K80.

    The HP device supports network faxing and scanning through the K80;
    the Linksys does not.

    Ron n1zhi

    Ron Cook, Oct 30, 2003