    im having problems choosing a motherboard for my new pc. Im getting an
    athlon 64 bit proccessor, but im not sure what brand to get or what
    chipset is the best. Any comments?

    shawnC, Jun 3, 2004

  2. shawnC

    Zebedee Guest

    Why do you want a 64-bit CPU? There're no 64-bit operating systems available
    yet and won't be for a couple of years.

    --
    Yours

    Zebedee

    (Claiming asylum in an attempt
    to escape paying his debts to
    Dougal and Florence)

    Zebedee, Jun 3, 2004

  3. shawnC

    Aaron Guest

    Maybe he will want to run those operating systems in a couple of
    years. And there actually are some Linux versions that run on 64-bit
    systems, if I remember right. I also think that today's processors
    will still be viable in a few years. Look at processors from 3 years
    back. They were maybe 1 GHz? Well, that is still good for most
    things now.

    Finally, the 64-bit processors are fast. If they perform as well or
    better than equivalently priced processors, why not get them?

    Aaron

    Aaron, Jun 3, 2004
  4. shawnC

    Ron Cook Guest

    Ron Cook, Jun 4, 2004
  5. shawnC

    Zebedee Guest

    Ah. I see.

    I don't really understand why Linux and Micorsoft users bash away at each
    other either. I use Linux on my server as it was £5 for the CD wheras
    Microsoft's server software costs a couple of thousand.

    But I use XP on my PC, Win 98 on my mum's PC and NT4 on my laptop.

    Zebedee, Jun 4, 2004
  6. shawnC

    S.Heenan Guest

    Based on quality and features, Asus, Abit, and Gigabyte are very good. For
    value motherboards, Shuttle and Asrock would be my two choices.

    S.Heenan, Jun 4, 2004