    What is the setting to use if I want to have my display off while
    maintaining internet connect and HD activity?

    Thanks for the help,

    liu, Apr 18, 2008

  2. liu

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    liu typed on Fri, 18 Apr 2008 05:50:30 -0700 (PDT):
    Well for starters, many laptops can get really hot with the lid closed
    and they are on. I would suggest experimenting to what the temps are.
    You can use something like Notebook Hardware Control (it's free) to find
    out.

    As for the rest, turn off display is okay, but set the rest to never and
    give that a shot.

    BillW50, Apr 18, 2008

  3. liu

    liu Guest

    I just found Power setting (advanced) settings:
    Hard Disk > Turn off hard disk after: 20 minutes
    Wireless Adapter Settings > Power saving mode: Maximum performance
    Sleep > Sleep after: 15 minutes
    Sleep > Allow hybrid sleep: off
    Sleep > Hibernate after: 1080 minutes
    USB settings > USB slective suspend setting: disabled
    Lid close action: Hibernate (was sleep before)
    Power button action: Sleep
    Start menu power button: Sleep
    Display > Turn off the display after: 15 minutes
    Display > Adaptive display: off
    Multimedia settings > When sharing media: allow the computer to enter
    Away Mode

    liu, Apr 18, 2008
  4. liu

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    .... and in some, that heat can damage the display.

    M.I.5¾, Apr 21, 2008
  5. liu

    liu Guest

    I find the solution. Since I have an external monitor. I turn off the
    internal display from Display properties and use the external monitor
    as the sole monitor. This way, I just turn off the external monitor
    before going to bed.

    Thank you everyone for the information.

    liu, Apr 22, 2008
  6. liu

    M.I.5¾ Guest

    You never mentioned the external monitor. Nearly every laptop has a key
    combination (Fn+F5 on mine but yours may vary) that cycles through the
    display options. In my case it's Internal --> Internal+External -->
    External --> Internal (etc.). It only works when more than one display is
    active.

    M.I.5¾, Apr 23, 2008
  7. liu

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    liu typed on Tue, 22 Apr 2008 12:00:41 -0700 (PDT):
    Oddly enough that is how I do it as well. ;-)

    BillW50, Apr 24, 2008
  8. liu

    BillW50 Guest

    In
    liu typed on Fri, 18 Apr 2008 05:50:30 -0700 (PDT):
    Well I am currently traveling and I don't have my external monitor with
    me to switch too and then manually shut it down. So I searched for
    freeware utilities to turn off the monitor. I can't use the Windows
    Power Management because it doesn't always work on this Gateway MX6124
    laptop. Meaning you set it to turn off the monitor say in a minute and
    it might do so and it might not. Here are two that I have found that you
    might like. Display 1.0 runs from a command line (you can create a
    shortcut and a hotkey for it). And BattStat does this in the system tray
    and more.

    Display 1.0
    http://display.noel-danjou.qarchive.org/_download2.html

    BattStat - Battery Status monitor and power management freeware for
    Windows Vista/XP/2000
    http://users.rcn.com/tmtalpey/BattStat/download-098.htm

    Oh crap! I think I just discovered why Windows Power Management doesn't
    always work and these two as well. As I use Windows Media Player a lot.
    And whenever it is running, turning the monitor off, it will turn back
    on again when the WMP is running. I found under Tools -> Options ->
    Player (tab) and after checking "Allow screen saver during playback",
    now it stays off. That might have been my problem all along. Geez!

    BillW50, May 2, 2008