Turning off MacBook Pro's display when using an external display?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Ant, Jul 7, 2013.

  1. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Hello.

    How does one turn off/disable MacBook Pros (2008's 10.5.8 and 2012's
    10.8.4)' screen/display when connected to an external display (e.g., a
    HDTV with its HDMI)?

    Thank you in advance. :)
    --
    "I got worms! That's what we're going to call it. We're going to
    specialize in selling worm farms. You know like ant farms. What's the

    Ant, Jul 7, 2013

  2. Ant

    Guest Guest

    shut the lid, then wake from external keyboard.

    Guest, Jul 8, 2013

  3. You can slave the display to another monitor but AFAIK, you can't say
    "use the other monitor" unless it's connected through a video card and
    you select it.

    So, to answer your question, I don't think you can.

    Michael Vilain, Jul 8, 2013
  4. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Ah, so no way to keep it opened and without an external keyboard. OK and
    thanks. :)
    --
    "The men of experiment are like the ant; they only collect and use. But
    the bee...gathers its materials from the flowers of the garden and of

    Ant, Jul 8, 2013
  5. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Bummer and thanks. :)
    --
    "Ever watch ants just crawling around? They walk in that single straight
    line, a long, a long, long mile of ants. Sometimes they will walk over

    Ant, Jul 8, 2013
  6. Ant

    Lewis Guest

    You can press Command-shift-eject to turn off any display.

    I don't know what you mean by "disable"

    Lewis, Jul 8, 2013
  7. Ant

    Guest Guest

    you can open the lid after you wake it.

    Guest, Jul 8, 2013
  8. Ant

    Ant Guest

    Turn off display (MacBook Pro's) when using an external display.
    --
    "When you can't fight on and drop to die; you're just a big tasty feast
    for the crows, ants, buzzards and flies." --unknown

    Ant, Jul 8, 2013
  9. Ant

    dorayme Guest

    I virtually do it every day and for years by simply turning bright
    down to zero (to preserve the screen mostly... using only when I
    really need the space for stuff). But maybe you want more than
    virtual, maybe you want the video signal not to go to the screen at
    all (what would this accomplish, a saving of cpu?)

    dorayme, Jul 8, 2013