Turning on probs - Powers up then straight down!

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Ben, May 31, 2004.

  1. Ben

    Ben Guest

    This isn't particularly Abit related, but there's a wealth of hardware
    knowledge in here so I hope you don't mind me asking.

    I've got a stange problem. My power supply "blew up" a while ago, and since
    then, when I turn my computer on in the morning it begins to power up as
    usual, but about 1 second later, it simply freezes. It sort of turns off,
    but the power light stays lit, and I can hear the motherboard fan spinning,
    but all the other fans spin down, as do the drives. Since this happened, I
    have replaced -> Power Supply, Motherboard, Graphics card, sound card...
    The only original bits from when it all went wrong are the processor (Athlon
    XP 2800) and RAM, and my computer is still doing this. Recently its getting
    worse, with me having to try several attempts before it will power on
    properly, and I think its having an effect on my HDD's, as they keep getting
    corrupted.

    I know it must be either the processor or the RAM, but does anybody know
    which is more likely, how I can tell (without buying new ones first) or have
    any idea why or what is happening (poor english!).

    Cheers for your help.

    Does anyone have any ideas what might be causing this

    Ben, May 31, 2004

  2. Ben

    Ben Guest

    I apologies in advance for my poor post (grammer - layout - everything),
    I've been revising for exams all day!
    :-S

    Ben, May 31, 2004

  3. Ben

    Hippy Paul Guest

    try testing memory with memtest86 http://www.memtest86.com/ if it passes
    then
    try testing cpu with prime95 http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm#download
    do not register for participation in prime95 scheme (unless you really want
    to) - just run the benchmark and if that passes try the torture test (both
    under "options" I think). If it fails the memtest86 diagnostics still try
    with prime95 (having isolated & removed bad memory stick - if there is only
    one bad one)

    The death of the power supply could have sent voltage spikes through the
    system and something has died as a result. Both memory and cpu errors could
    cause corrupt data when writing to disk.

    Hippy Paul, May 31, 2004
  4. Ben

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Would it be correct to say that it restarts (software resets) ok?

    Since there is no hardware reset line to the memory, seems like the
    cpu would be the problem.

    Did the motherboard actually die or was it replaced for good measure?
    I wouldn't expect the cpu to become a problem if the motherboard lived
    the psu blow out.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

    - HAL9000, May 31, 2004
  5. Ben

    Ben Guest

    Replaced to satisfy the thirst for Dolby Surround sound (NF7-S) :)
    The other parts apart from the graphics card have been replaced as routine
    rather than because they messed up. The graphics card (a creative gf4
    ti4600) was just an awful model (4 RMA's) so I wasn't suprised that it
    didn't survive.

    Don't want it to be my CPU :'(

    Ben, May 31, 2004