    thing, on for 5 seconds, off. It does not post. No beep codes. The
    heatsink's fan is spinning fine. This really can't be an overheating
    problem since it's only 5 seconds we're talking here.

    dterrors, Feb 8, 2005

  2. dterrors

    - HAL9000 Guest

    If the heatsink is not (or only slightly) touching the cpu then it
    would take 5 to 10 seconds for it to overheat. If you repeat the
    action then it never cools off and it overheats immediately.

    Forrest

    Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
    http://home.comcast.net/~mobo.help/

    - HAL9000, Feb 8, 2005

  3. dterrors

    dterrors Guest

    Well, the heatsink is clamped on (socket A). I mean, how can it not be
    touching?

    And what about the symptom of it turing on when it got plugged in?

    dterrors, Feb 8, 2005
  4. dterrors

    dterrors Guest

    Also, if it was overheating it would give the overheating beep.

    dterrors, Feb 8, 2005
  5. dterrors

    Nickm Guest

    Believe me - it might not be touching. It's very hard to tell even if the
    heatsink 'looks' as if it is performing properly. Removing the sticky
    heatsink compound pad and using a little thermal grease is usually a better
    solution than the pad provided. When the Athlon XP first appeared, I had a
    CPU burn out in about 8 seconds because the heatsink wasn't touching the CPU
    properly because of a faulty (slack) spring clip. To all intents and
    purposes a visual inspection beforehand left me confident that all was well.
    It wasn't. Luckily my supplier agreed with my diagnosis and replaced both
    the CPU and heatsink.

    The other main cause of the symptom you describe is usually that the
    heatsink fan has been attached to the wrong power header on the board and
    because of a CPU protection facility built in to the board, power is
    switched off as soon as non-rotation of the fan is detected. Of course the
    tachometer wire/connection (third wire on fan) could be broken or otherwise
    not making contact.

    Quite a lot of boards 'kick' the CPU fan briefly when mains power is applied
    to the PSU. Check your front panel connections are correct on the board.
    Make sure your case doesn't have a stuck reset switch, although this usually
    causes the PC to power on and stay on but not boot.

    Ensure that nothing else is causing the fault - remove everything except the
    graphics card, CPU (and cooler) and memory, and keyboard. If you can get it
    to boot in barebones mode, then reconnect other components starting with the
    hard disk one-by-one to identify the culprit.

    Nickm, Feb 8, 2005
  6. dterrors

    RonK Guest

    Make sure the cpu fan is plugged into the fan header marked cpu.

    RonK, Feb 8, 2005
  7. dterrors

    Erik Hayn Guest

    right ... and the fan is doing more than 1500rpm, otherwise "cpu
    protection" could work if enabled.

    Erik Hayn, Feb 8, 2005
  8. dterrors

    - HAL9000 Guest

    Yes indeed. Your confident the pc speaker is working?

    I don't know first hand but I have heard others mount the heatsink
    mounted 180 degrees rotated and then partial contact occurs.

    My functional system seems to like to turn on when I plug it in, on
    occasion, too even though I have set it to not-do-that in the bios.
    Don't know why. Not really a concern since its on a backup power
    supply. Don't know what VA10 bios defaults to...

    - HAL9000, Feb 8, 2005