TV online is 20 frames per minute!

Discussion in 'ATI' started by mm, Aug 23, 2010.

  1. mm

    mm Guest

    1) With the help months ago of some of the people here, I'm able to
    watch old tv-shows on-line. I like it.

    Last night, I watched an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents on Hulu.

    The soudn was fine, but it was a series of still pictures, every 1 to
    7 seconds, most often 3 seconds.

    1) This is because my DSL connection is too slow, right? I have the
    cheaper/slower/cheapest/slowest version of DSL.

    2) Or would a better video card or one with more RAM help?

    I need to get another card for a new-to-me computer. Now I have
    64Meg. Will 256 Meg have any effect on this?

    3) Hulu provided a choice of resolutions, is that the word? I
    forget the numbers but something like 280p, 380p and 450p. I thought
    maybe if I chose the lowest one -- Is that the worst resolution? --
    it would need fewer bites per frame and it would have time to send
    more frames. Does that make sense? It didn't seem to work, but I
    didn't count the seconds between images like I did with 380.

    How do I know what number to choose? What does it control?

    Thanks a lot for any help.

    Background FYI.

    This was all at 2 to 4 in the morning, so I would think net traffic
    would have been pretty low.

    I have an attic antenna and a set-top box, but with all their claims
    about how well that would work, even my local stations have periods
    where the picture and sound black out. So I lost the last 5 minutes
    of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents".

    I found it on-line at Hulu, but it ran I said above. Still I got to
    see the end.

    Then I tried another site but it linked to Hulu to show the tv-show.

    Then I went here http://www.yidio.com/show/alfred-hitchcock-hour and
    it had 3 different sites for the same episode. That's pretty
    impressive.

    1) Hulu again.

    2) Fancast, which gave the same sort of results as Hulu

    3) NBC. In NBC the pictures actually move, but when they stop, so does
    the sound. Not sure which is worse. I think the interruptions were
    more at the start, became few after the first 10 minutes.

    mm, Aug 23, 2010

  2. mm

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Aug 23, 2010

  3. mm

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Aug 23, 2010
  4. mm

    mm Guest

    Thanks.

    I'm still going to get a little better card, but I won't worry how
    good.

    (I'm working on an answer to your first question!)

    mm, Aug 23, 2010
  5. mm

    mm Guest

    According to Verizon, Download 768 kbps to 1 Mbps (1000Kbps)
    Baltimore server
    Ping 142 ms
    DLoad 0.15 Mbps
    ULoad 0.13 Mbps

    DC server
    Ping 104 ms
    DLoad 0.16 Mbps
    ULoad 0.13 Mbps

    This is really terrible, isn't it, compared to 1000 or the 7.86 in the
    next paragraph, or what Verizon says I'll get!

    http://www.netindex.com/ says Household Download Index

    Based on millions of recent test results from Speedtest.net, this
    index compares and ranks consumer download speeds around the globe.
    The value is the rolling average throughput in Mbps over the past 30
    days where the mean distance between the client and the server is less
    than 300 miles. 7.86Mbps

    http://www.pingtest.net/ says
    Server in Philadelphia
    Ping 66 ms
    Jitter 7 ms
    Packet Loss 0%
    but MS firewall blocked Java(TM) Platform SE binary and wouldn't let
    it do some things
    Line Quality B
    MOS 4.36
    Your grade B

    Server in Chicago
    Server in Philadelphia
    Ping 69 ms
    Jitter 6 ms
    everything else the same.

    mm, Aug 23, 2010
  6. mm

    Ed Light Guest

    Totally.

    I'd unplug the power from the modem for 30 seconds and see if it comes
    back better. If not, I would get Verizon to fix it.
    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War and Related:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Ed Light, Aug 23, 2010
  7. mm

    Ed Light Guest

    I'm working through a saga with Hulu, 480p, run full-screen at 1440x900
    on a 19" widescreen monitor.

    All by itself it's decent but not very sharp. Often a bit dark and flat.

    Recently Adobe came out with its 10.1 Flash player that enables hardware
    acceleration using the video card.

    My hope was that now I could use the adjustable enhancements of my card
    on Hulu -- namely Sharpening and Dynamic Contrast; also brightness,
    contrast, and hopefully, gamma.

    My Radeon 4670 will do it in Win 7. In XP I'm having terrible problems,
    which wouldn't be so bad except I want it to work on a friend's XP PC
    that I will visit to maintain in a bit over a month.

    I sent for and will be trying a geforce GT 240. I think the nvidia
    drivers will do pretty well compared to the ATI's, which have glitches
    in the control panel that are not really excusable. The ATI bum driver
    reputation continues.

    We'll see.

    At any rate, in Win 7, with the 4670, I can make Hulu look almost like a
    DVD!

    FYI, the geforce GT 240 is the minimum (current) nvidia card for highest
    quality video in players that can actually use it. Tentatively, I'd say
    get that one. But haven't tested it yet. It's also a power-sipper. I'm
    getting the ASUS with the big fan -- reviews say it's really quiet. Got
    one for $40 with rebate and free shipping!

    Ed Light, Aug 23, 2010
  8. mm

    mm Guest

    Thanks.

    I'll try the power and then retest.

    Also, the phone wiring in the house wasn't working right, starting as
    many as 10 years ago, maybe because of some wires I had I added years
    before that, but maybe not, so I opened up the interface box (the
    NID?) on the front of the house and ran a 50 or 100 foot roll of cheap
    modular phone wire up to the second floor window, through the spare
    bedroom and directly to one arm of a Y connector which is plugged into
    the DSL modem. (Whatever of the house wiring that still works is
    plugged into the other arm of the Y.)

    Do you think this could be lowering my speed? It's about 28 feet to
    the NID from the modem, so that leaves about 22 or more likely 72 feet
    in a 4 to 6" coil somewhere behind the desk.

    I could shorten the wire by 70 feet, or I could at least uncoil the
    coil and snake the wire back and forth over the bed in the room it
    passes through. ??

    Plus this is cheap thin low-quality wire even for inside wire, where
    it was meant to be used , and it's been out in the weather for 4 or 6
    years or more. (although it only gets an hour or two of direct
    sunlight a little after dawn.) And it blows in the breeze and gets a
    little scrunched in the aluminum window frame where in the "winter" I
    almost close the sliding window.

    (Fixing the house is too difficult now. After about 6 months of using
    this wire or wire like it, I tried the house again and it worked fine
    for a year, then I don't think I touched anything but something went
    wrong again, and i went back to using a wire and have stuck with that.
    I spent a couple hours each time, so I don't want to try to fix it
    until I catch up on other things. I bought a cordless phone to make
    up for jacks that don't work. :) )

    mm, Aug 24, 2010
  9. mm

    mm Guest

    I notice that they've sent me two version of Adobe in the last week or
    so -- and I was up to date to begin with. I was hoping the first one
    would fix a "script won't stop running" problem I have with a few
    pages, including www.dictionary.com in Firefox3, but it didn't. I got
    the second version a day or two ago, but I haven't had nerve enough to
    risk freezing Firefox.
    I have a Radeon 7000, since last Deember. I assume even though the
    number is higher, that it's older than your 4670. Even so it has all
    those adjustments you talk about and I was/am afraid to touch them.
    :~|

    In XP I haven't even started the program in months, although when I go
    back to win98, it starts automatically (but I ignore it) I am not
    literally color-blind but I have no artistic sense or sense of color
    and I'm not even that good at black and white!
    Oh, yeah.
    That's great.
    I'll try to read this group, even after I get my new computer running.

    mm, Aug 24, 2010
  10. mm

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Aug 24, 2010
  11. mm

    Ed Light Guest

    It's recommeneded to uninstall all vestiges of Flash and rebooting
    before installing a new one. Sometimes the uninstall leaves something.
    Secunia PSI is a free program to tell what needs security updates that
    finds leftovers alot for me. I have to go delete remaining folders, like
    system32\Macromedia.

    I download the latest Flash Uninstaller from Adobe but I think you can
    also do it from the Programs thing in Control Panel.

    Ed Light, Aug 24, 2010
  12. mm

    mm Guest

    I guess I should have thought of that, huh. It can take me months or
    years to think of something others think of right away. To think I
    wanted to be a trial lawyer. The trial would be over and I'd still
    be thinking of things I could say.

    mm, Aug 24, 2010
  13. mm

    mm Guest

    Thanks. I may do that.

    mm, Aug 24, 2010
  14. mm

    Ed Light Guest

    The "elegant" solutions can be elusive!

    Ed Light, Aug 24, 2010
  15. mm

    Ed Light Guest

    Actually the downloaded uninstaller might remove more than the
    individual items in Programs for the 2 Flash's -- the dx for IE and the
    plugin for Firefox (if you've installed Flash in both).

    Ed Light, Aug 24, 2010
  16. mm

    mm Guest

    Thanks again for all the help.

    mm, Aug 25, 2010
  17. mm

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Aug 25, 2010
  18. mm

    mm Guest

    It takes me a long time to get things done. For example, I haven't
    even turned the modem off and on and done the tests again.

    To cut the phone line I have to find my modular connector tool and the
    connectors and the wire cutters. It could easily be weeks, or even
    months** (Frankly, the low speed hasn't bothered me until I wanted to
    watch the tv show. With youtube, it's often fast enough but I just do
    something in another tab or program if it doesn't dl quickly enough._

    **Also I only got going because I had to get the new video card for
    the computer I'm fixing up and wanted to make sure that wasn't the
    source of the probelm.

    But I plan to start a new thread here that starts Follow-up on
    connection speed, or something like that.

    mm, Aug 25, 2010
  19. mm

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Aug 25, 2010
  20. mm

    Richard P Guest

    The Radeon 7000 is absolutely ancient :( It isn't capable of video
    acceleration AFAIK the only ATI cards that do support it are the 2xxx -
    5xxx cards.

    Richard P, Aug 27, 2010