    time ago I had an external TV Tuner card that connected with USB 2.0
    and it had problems with that.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 3, 2006

  2. journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    Hauppauge PVR USB2 (NOT the WinTV). Hands down. Includes FM

    Tom Scales, Mar 4, 2006

  3. journey

    journey Guest

    Hi Tom, I trust your input so I am going to go with that one. It
    seems that everything I look at has "Win TV" in it so I am not sure
    which one to get.

    If you could paste a link to the exact product that would help.

    Thanks,

    Journey

    journey, Mar 4, 2006
  4. journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    Tom Scales, Mar 4, 2006
  5. journey

    Phil Guest

    I also have the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-USB2. In fact, Dell sells it, and had
    the best price when I was ready to buy. Has worked like a charm with my
    I6000/Win MCE2005 setup.

    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...en&cs=19&brandid=143&page=productlisting.aspx

    This kit has everything you need, for use with MCE2005, except an mpeg2
    decoder. You'll need to install your own mpeg2 codec/decoder in order to
    watch Live TV and/or recorded shows. While any DVD playback software you
    install will come with an mpeg2 codec/decoder, I would recommend you
    shell-out the $20 for nVidia's PureVideo mpeg2 codec/decoder.

    Have fun.

    -phil

    Phil, Mar 4, 2006
  7. journey

    journey Guest

    Thank you Tom and Phil, now all I have to do is find it on sale
    someplace! It's nice to know what to look for though.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 4, 2006
  8. journey

    journey Guest

    There is also a MCE Edition. Do you know if the one you posted works
    well with MCE, or do you use it on its own.

    Even if it doesn't work well with MCE, I still might get the one you
    posted about. MCE creates dvr-ms files. I would like something more
    universal.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 4, 2006
  9. journey

    journey Guest

    I did some pricing and the lowest is around $130 +. I am going to
    wait for a special someplace or for one of my Amazon $25 coupons. The
    card you mention has great reviews. Thanks again.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 4, 2006
  10. journey

    Phil Guest

    There are at least two versions of the Hauppauge USB PVR. One of them is
    just the tv-tuner/capture device, the other is a complete kit for use with
    Win MCE2005. The kit comes with the proper MCE2005 driver, MCE2005 remote,
    usb infrared receiver and transmitter (the transmitter connects to the
    receiver, and allows MCE2005 to change the channel on your TV or settop box.
    You most definitely want the WinTV USB2 PVR for MCE.

    Oh, and there are plenty applications for converting the dvr-ms files to mpg
    or avi. I should also mention that both Nero and Roxio have native support
    for dvr-ms files, so burning a DVD is a piece of cake with either.

    -phil

    Phil, Mar 4, 2006
  11. journey

    Eric H Guest

    Unfortunately the WinTV-PVR-usb2 I think, is analogue only so will not
    receive Freeview.
    Here in the UK analogue is being phased out so this is only good for 5
    terrestrial TV channels for a few years and any external compatible video /
    RF inputs you want to feed into it.

    Eric H, Mar 5, 2006
  12. journey

    Hask Guest

    Can you schedule FM recordings or just TV?

    Hask

    Hask, Mar 11, 2006
  13. journey

    Tom Scales Guest

    I don't know with MCE. I suspect both. I use Snapstream's BeyondTV as I
    like it better.

    Tom Scales, Mar 11, 2006