TV Wonder Pro + Asus A7N8X-E = Distorted Audio

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Marc, May 9, 2004.

  1. Marc

    Marc Guest

    I'm trying to hook up my TV Wonder Pro on a new A7N8X-E motherboard using
    the onboard sound. The TV sound coming out of my system is very distorted.
    When I open the Nvidia mixer, I see that the Line In slider is muted. The
    tuner software is controlling the Wave In slider. I have full control of
    the Wave (ie level and mute) and as I make changes I can see the effect on
    the output level display of the mixer.

    Out of curiosity, I muted the Wave In and opened the Line In slider. It
    sounds great, but although I can hear it fine, the levels aren't showing on
    the output meters of the mixer. The ATI volume control still only affects
    the Wave slider.

    If I restart Windows XP I'm back to the distorted audio.

    I have run ATI's Tuner Wizard several times trying the different input
    selections. Each time, control goes to the Wave In slider.
    I have run Nvidia's Speaker Wizard several times trying different analog
    configurations. The tuner output is always distorted.
    I have tried going into the motherboard using the exernal Line In connector
    as well as the internal AUX connector.

    The tuner works fine with my previous motherboard and the onboard audio
    works with other applications.
    I've gone through the Nvidia onboard audio setup and I'm cofident everything
    is set correctly there. I'm using 4 analog outputs for my speakers. The
    same problem crops up when I try just using 2 speakers.

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    TIA
    Marc

    Marc, May 9, 2004

  2. Is there an audio setup for the sound card that has one of your inputs set
    to be a surround or subwoofer output instead? Can you run the AIW's output
    directly to a separate stereo amplifier, or another set of speakers and let
    us know how it sounds then?

    Jim

    Jim in Canada, May 9, 2004

  3. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Thanks for the tip Jim In Canada. I found the solution.
    In addition to the OUTPUT slider controls, there is an INPUT level control
    for each source. This is part of the Nvidia mixer software that came with
    the board. The inputs share a single slider. You choose which input you
    control using a drop down list. Once I significantly reduced the level of
    the LINE input, everything was worked fine. It turns out, the ATI software
    is supposed to move the WAVE output slider.

    Marc (also in Canada) :)

    Marc, May 11, 2004