TWERQ or half-QUERTY or half-keyboard

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Markus Hänchen, Jan 17, 2006.

  1. I am looking for an affordable solution to touch-type with my right
    hand only, i.e. an implementation of the TWERQ feature, also called
    half-QUERTY or a half-keyboard, which allows you to type e.g. the
    letter f by pressing the space bar and the letter j, i.e. a mirroring
    of the whole keyboard, invoked by the space bar.

    Due to an operation, I will not be able to use my left hand for
    anything but the lightest of tasks for about six weeks.

    The extension uControl provided a software solution for this feature
    for free, until it got removed due to patent infriction (and uControl
    itself does not run under Tiger anymore).

    Currently, I could only find an external keyboard called half-querty
    keyboard by matias.ca for $600 which provides this feature. The same
    company announced a new keyboard called halfkeyboard x2 for only $50,
    unfortunately it is only available from May on. I have also seen the
    $600 keyboard available for renting for $120 at sforh.com.

    Does anybody know of another solution? I would much prefer a
    software-based one to an external keyboard for my laptop.

    Markus

    Markus Hänchen, Jan 17, 2006