    computer seems to be running just fine as is, but I would prefer to have the
    latest Asus Award bios installed if possible. Does anyone have any helpful
    suggestions?

    Dean, Heather, Blair, Cameron and McKenna Smith, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Dean, Heather, Blair, Cameron and McKenna Smith

    gdp Guest

    Wow! I tried the same thing with the 8140 and a K6-2 500. Never was
    able to flash it. But I didn't get it to boot past the post screen,
    i.e. couldn't get it to go into Windows. Do you have the multiplier set
    for 2X(6X)? If so, it should be running at 400 MHz whether it says so
    or not on the post screen. If you can get into Windows, run cpu-z
    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php and see what it says your CPU is running at.

    Since it is unlikely you will be able to flash the AWARD BIOS, you can
    enable performance enhancing options with utilities found at:

    <http://www.k6plus.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=1>

    Good luck.

    George

    gdp, Dec 4, 2004

  3. George - I ran WPCUID and found that the processor is running at 400 mhz so
    I guess everything is working as expected. I did change the multiplier
    jumpers to 2x as the K6-3 assumes a 6x in that case. I left the clock at
    66 mhz. I also reverse engineered the V Core jumpers so I could set the CPU
    voltage to 2.4 volts. I also know what the jumper settings are for 2.2 and
    2.0 volts if you're interested. Thanks for the link to the K6 processor
    optimizations. I'm considering programming a flash part with the Award bios
    on my programmer at work and trying it in the motherboard just to see what
    happens.... - Thanks for your input - Dean

    Dean, Heather, Blair, Cameron and McKenna Smith, Dec 6, 2004