Tyan K8WE dead? or is it PSU?

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by funkbomb, Jul 5, 2006.

1. funkbomb

funkbomb

Hey all,
    Built my little system today, plugged it in and turned on the switch on the PSU--everything lit up, powered on great. I thought that was a little odd, since I'm used to needing to push the power button (anyone know why that is?) but anyways...I got a 4 beep post code, and according to my google searches that means improperly seated memory. Reseated my memory, powered on again the same way...and still got the 4 beep codes. Read that I needed at least a stick of *registered* memory in there, which I didn't, so I ordered two sticks of registered 512's that should be coming tomorrow.

However...
    I left the computer after switching it off the second or third time after trying to boot it up, ordered the RAM, and then came back to turn it on again and...nothing. Nada. Just this high-pitched whine from the PSU every time I turned it on. Power button did nothing. I searched the computer for bad wires, and found a partially severed wire within an IDE cable, so I switched that out with a good one, and still...nothing.

What happened?

I am using: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=E456-1013
    That's the Enermax 660w power supply.

funkbomb, Jul 5, 2006
  2. funkbomb

funkbomb

Sigh...never mind, solved it. Turned out it was a short circuit caused by a mount screw that came screwed into the motherboard platform that wasn't meant to be installed with an E-ATX motherboard, so it touched the bottom of a component on the mobo instead of a screwmount hole. Stupid Thermaltake. It was the only mount that didn't fit. Glad I solved it though...

On a side note, do you think anything has been damaged since I tried starting it up so many times?

funkbomb, Jul 6, 2006
Ask a Question