    but I'm always tempted by upgrades. I have an MSI 8800GTX video card
    and 8 GB of RAM. My 3ware SATA RAID 5 is slow but reliable.

    Thank you!

    Jim, May 13, 2007

  2. Jim

    BC Guest

    Dear Jim,

    here are some socket 940 CPUs compared:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16819103022,N82E16819105110,N82E16819105112

    270, 280, and 290:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...2E16819103552,N82E16819103573,N82E16819105110

    209 is $719.00: if you need two of them, that's a hefty chunk of
    change. 2.0 to 2.8: definitely faster, but, as you said, for gaming,
    it depends on where your bottleneck is, and games will not necessarily
    going to be faster--I think you have ECC RAM, so that slows things down
    a bit for games, unless I am mistaken....

    Apparently Barcelona (quad core) is going to be very good--though there
    is no objective evidence of that just yet, only rumors....

    You could wait for a Barcelona with a new single CPU motherboard,
    recycle your 8800GTX into the new system....I think I would wait and
    see, as prices on the socket 940 CPUs have not dropped like they have
    for AM2 and Intel's 775.....

    HTH,

    BC

    BC, May 13, 2007

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Dear BC,

    Thanks! It appears that the *only* difference in the chips, other
    than the increase in clock speed, is the increase in the L1 cache from
    64K to 128K. That doesn't sound like a huge change to me.
    I think you're right about the memory. ECC PC2700 memory is
    *extremely* slow by today's standards. It was slow even by the
    standards when I built the machine. I mostly built it (a) to try a
    dual-processor motherboard and (b) to have a 133 MHz PCI-X slot for
    the SATA RAID card. SATA 2 came out just as I build the machine, so I
    have an SATA 2 RAID card running at 133 MHz. I think my error was
    that it was just too damn expensive to build in the first place. The
    operating system is what fooled me. I could buy a 64-bit operating
    system, Windows Professional x64, for only $100.00 from New Egg at the
    time, which supported dual processors. Now, however, I am screwed.
    The Vista upgrade would be to Ultimate to keep the dual processors and
    all the other gaming features. (None of the consumer versions of
    Vista support dual processors.)
    The motherboards would probably be quite a bit better then as well.
    I've been noticing that the new boards have all sorts of heat pipes
    and advanced feature sets that the K8WE didn't have. It was a really
    nice board, particularly the on-board SCSI, but some of the newer
    boards are even nicer.
    That sounds like a good idea. I do like these server motherboards,
    for the SCSI and 64-bit slots, but they really aren't built for
    performance. I sort of build a machine which was a bridge to
    nowhere. <g>

    Thanks for your advice! :)

    Jim

    Jim, May 14, 2007