tyan motherboards suck

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by public, Aug 9, 2005.

  1. public

    public Guest

    I bought a tyan thunder k8sd pro s2882-d
    The sata raid does not work with Fedora Core 3 and 4 despite the fact
    that Tyan writes on mobo box that it supports Linux and the rest of the
    crap.

    1. The floppy disk connector cable is too short thus the floppy drive
    cannot be used even on pc cases (I have tried on one just for the hell
    of it)
    apparently the idiots at Tyan place the connector where was convenient
    for them
    not to be used.

    2. After using the bios utility to configure a 4 disk sata raid FC4
    installs ok, however it
    does not reboot.

    3. Contacted Tyan a while ago, never heard from them, thus it can be
    concluded that Tyan
    does not have technical support.

    Here is some advice, stay away from Tyan. I will try ASUS and MSI, mind you
    I will stay away
    from their SATA RAID bullshit and used a proper raid controller, because the
    onboard raid is
    just marketing bullshit..

    public, Aug 9, 2005

  2. public

    Rob Stow Guest

    I have had no problems with Redhat and Suse with the S288x
    boards. Haven't tried other versions of Linux with those boards.
    Also works great with W2K and W2K3 Server.
    It is a board designed for 1U and 2U cases. The floppy connector
    works just fine in a 2U case.

    If you wanted a mobo for a desktop case, you should have tried
    the 2885 or 2895. IIRC, the floppy connectors on the 2880 and
    2881 are also better placed for desktop cases.

    As well, you could have simply used a USB floppy and saved
    yourself a lot of aggravation.
    I have found it impossible to boot off of a 4 drive SATA RAID
    with the S288x motherboards, but I have had no problems
    otherwise. Eg., RAID 0+1 works fine if you are not booting off
    of it.
    I'm not too fond of it either. I find that a two week delay
    before getting a response is typical. It is probably better for
    the big OEMs who buy the boards in thousand lots.
    Asus makes nice single-CPU boards, but I wouldn't wish one of
    their dualies on my worst enemy. Go with MSI if you are truly
    pissed off at Tyan. IWill also makes some nice Opty dualies.

    Rob Stow, Aug 9, 2005

  3. public

    bhoover Guest

    That's an awful thing to say.

    Sounds like you just bought from the wrong market (or rather,
    sub-market). My impression is that Tyan is fantastic. The used --
    though emaculate -- s2462 I bought is a work of art (but I tend to wax
    romantic) -- the thing is beautiful.

    Tech support *might* be a little slow, but if you follow the
    instructions for their automated server, they'll get back with you.
    Sent me the hard to find I/O shield for this board, no charge.

    Bryan

    bhoover, Aug 9, 2005
  4. public

    public Guest

    you did not try to configure the SATA RAID, then tell me how you did it
    the case that I use is a chenbro
    I need to boot of it, however I will try to create a raid with only three
    drives

    public, Aug 9, 2005
  5. public

    public Guest

    I have no idea what are you talking about in the last paragraph.

    public, Aug 9, 2005
  6. public

    doctor.ratt Guest

    i used caldera, problem free.
    or spent a few pennies on a longer cable.
    strange. whenever i've contacted tyan, i've had a reply within 3
    working days. whether i was asking for a recommendation for a raid
    card or asking for an rma number.
    it took them less than 3 weeks [total time, including requesting rma]
    to replace my dead board from germany.

    onboard ide/sata raid has always been a bit crap, it's not a tyan
    problem.
    msi would also be my second choice after tyan.

    dr ratt

    doctor.ratt, Aug 9, 2005