    with good success.

    Greetings

    Heinz

    Heinz Roesch, Jul 5, 2003

  2. Heinz Roesch

    Tony Guest

    Hi

    i got the S2668, i had problems with my 3ware raid controller and probs with
    the bios. i am sure that i changed about 30emails with tyan support so that
    they finaly after two weeks brought out a new bios 1.01g that fixes 3ware
    support and other probs I HAD.

    for me the support is very very good and i am realy happy!

    Tony

    Tony, Jul 5, 2003

  3. Heinz Roesch

    Paul Murphy Guest

    If you think that having to exchange 30 emails with a company before they
    fix the problem is a good thing, then I'd hate to see the companies you
    think are bad. For me the mark good service is a co that asks poignant
    questions and resolves the issue (including any RMAs required) with no more
    than 5 (quickly relied to) emails tops. My experience with Tyan has been
    that they respond selectively to emails and tend not to acknowledge
    known/common problems or issues with motherboards e.g. the 2nd CPU ID issue
    with the S2460.

    My next board will NOT be a Tyan.

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, Jul 5, 2003
  4. Heinz Roesch

    Tony Guest

    yes yes but there where a lot more stuff i had to discuss because i am not
    very studdy with mainboard.
    and tyan support was very polite und helpfull. for me it is very good and i
    would be a second time a board.
    but it is also right that there are a lot of people out there who have many
    problems with the boards and with support.
    what will you do? buy intel boards? they are for me too expensive.

    Tony, Jul 6, 2003
  5. Heinz Roesch

    Heinz Roesch Guest

    Thank you all for your input.
    Problem with Xeon-boards turned out to be a defective
    FPU-Unit on one processor.

    So no fault on tyan's side, but Intel platform confidence
    test reported the problem on a Intel-board within 5 minutes
    and saved our asses.

    So for us it will be Intel from now on!

    Greetings

    Heinz

    Heinz Roesch, Jul 11, 2003
  6. Heinz Roesch

    Heinz Roesch Guest

    David,
    True. But that was the first defective Intel-CPU in my
    20-years-experience in the computer-industrie. So the main
    problem was, that we didn't think enough about a CPU-defect
    because it never happened until now :)
    Since we don't live in a perfect world and shit happens as we
    all know, i like to have a board that ships with an intensive
    test-tool.

    And you forgot to mention our problems with S2688. Still no bios
    and no information in sight. And some days ago we had to RMA the
    fifth board out of a series of twenty because of random lockups.

    So there are some quite serious problems with tyan that we had
    to consider in our decision as well.

    Greetings

    Heinz

    Heinz Roesch, Jul 14, 2003
  7. Heinz Roesch

    Paul Murphy Guest

    Likewise Intel didn't do any cpu installing on that board.
    My point is not that its crazy to blame Tyan for a defective CPU but that
    you can't assume it was Intels fault either ("the defective parts they ship
    you" - from your statement above).

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, Jul 14, 2003
  8. You can't have it both ways. If a CPU failure is so rare, how can you
    blame Tyan for not providing a tool to test and detect it?
    I'd like to have a CPU that ships with an intensive test-tool. Since in
    this case it was a defective CPU, it was a CPU test-tool that you needed,
    not a motherboard test-tool. If you want a test-tool that tests the
    combination of CPU and motherboard, why do you feel it's the motherboard
    manufacturer's job to provide it?
    I didn't forget to mention them, I just don't know anything about them
    and so have no reason to comment on them.
    Ahh, I see. Since they do so many other things wrong, we can just assume
    their guilt in this case, even though all reason points away from it.

    DS

    David Schwartz, Jul 14, 2003
  9. The quote you take from my statement above was not about Intel. It was
    about a hypothetical supplier.

    Yes, I agree with your point. Most likely, Intel shipped a defective
    part. Whether that's their fault even assuming so is hard to say considering
    Intel's extremely good quality record and the fact that no supplier can be
    perfect.

    It's also remotely possible that the part was damaged during shipping.
    It's quite possible that the processor was damaged during installation,
    unless the installer was extremely knowledgeable and took proper static
    precautions. It's remotely possible a defective VRM on the motherboard fried
    the processor. It's also reasonably likely that a defective power supply,
    surge or spike fried the processor, perhaps (though not very likely) in part
    due to poor filtering on the motherboard.

    Without knowing more about the way the CPU was installed and handled,
    it's hard to figure out which scenario is more likely, defective part,
    improper ESD precautions during installation, or power surge. The point is,
    in all likelihood, Tyan did nothing wrong and no defect in the motherboard
    had any relationship to the failure. Tyan didn't provide, certify, or
    install the CPU.

    DS

    David Schwartz, Jul 14, 2003
  10. Heinz Roesch

    Heinz Roesch Guest

    David,
    first i don't blame them. I decided for another manufacturer who does
    a better job in providing test tools. So for me it's nothing personal
    with tyan, i'm just using my options as a client.
    Actually i am not able anymore to understand what you are trying to
    tell me. So i am out at this point.

    Greetings

    Heinz

    Heinz Roesch, Jul 15, 2003
  11. context).

    You're drawing implications not intended.
    IE, it was a defect in a part supplied by Intel.
    I am saying that this is what he did. It has nothing to do with Intel or
    Tyan. I'm simply saying that in his mind he has preferred a company that he
    believes can detect defective parts rather than a company that doesn't ship
    defective parts. I never said anyone actualy shipped any defective parts.
    I'm strictly speaking about the reasoning process that went on in his mind.
    Whether the raw data he processed from was not the subject of that
    paragraph.
    No, I'm saying that it's illogical to prefer a company that can detect
    defects over one that doesn't ship defects. This has nothing to do with
    Intel or Tyan, it's a totally generic statement. If there are no defects,
    ability to detect defects is irrelevent.
    He's talking about whether or not Tyan is at fault. My point is that
    whether or not Intel is at fault is irrelevent. Tyan didn't ship a defective
    part. Tyan didn't install a defective part. Tyan didn't certify a defective
    part.

    DS

    David Schwartz, Jul 15, 2003