    series) Opterons? I've read all of the AMD forum postings about temps
    but would like more info. Thanks.

    DS

    Diatonic, Nov 30, 2004

  2. Diatonic

    Rob Stow Guest

    I've built 7 systems around the S2885 so far. One
    used 240's, two used 250's, and four used 246's.
    Two more are pending and it looks like I will be giving
    the HE versions of the 246 a try.

    They have all been workstations in tower cases - and
    hence there will be tower case vs rack mount case air
    flow and cooling differences.

    Typical temps for a 246 using the stock AMD coolers are
    idle = 39'C
    load = 52'C

    The most likely reason your 2U unit is running so much hotter
    than the 4U unit is simply better airflow through the roomier
    4U case. As well, in racks it is quite common for units
    higher up in the rack to run significantly hotter than units
    lower down for the simple reason that warm air rises. In a
    server room that is nominally at 20'C, it is not unusual for air
    at the floor to be 8'C cooler than air at rack-top level.
    Ceiling fans to circulate the air in the room can help the units
    higher up in the rack to run a little cooler.

    Rob Stow, Nov 30, 2004

  3. Diatonic

    nsarras Guest

    I found one of my issues - besides not having the best airflow through
    these 2U chasis, these fans are NO GOOD!

    http://www.orbitmicro.com/products/accessories/cpu fans/DC1U-B04.htm

    With these fans I was running @ 63C (145F) per CPU at idle!!! I have
    since swapped with these fans:

    http://www.orbitmicro.com/products/accessories/cpu fans/E2U-K65CS-01.htm

    Now I'm running @ 43C (109F) per CPU and the temp. won't climb another
    10-15C under load like the previous fans.

    Thought everyone might like this info.

    Sure, I have other issues (chasis airflow / etc) keeping me from
    reaching the high 30C mark, but low 40's is much better than low 60's!!

    Cheers!

    DS

    nsarras, Dec 6, 2004