Tyan Thunder 2462 rebooting problem

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Mark Morreau, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. Mark Morreau

    Mark Morreau Guest

    Hello all,

    I have an odd problem with my computer. Started spontaneously, not a
    cause of any hardware change.
    When I reboot the computer (start, shut down, restart) the computer does
    not restart. It makes the right noises, but the monitor never shows an
    image (in fact the standby light never goes to green) and I never get a
    beep and it never boots up to OS. When I push the reset button it still
    won't reboot, and when I try and turn it off by pushing in and holding
    the start button, it will not shut down, but instead tries to restart.
    When I turn the machine off at the mains, or with the switch on the PSU,
    and leave it a minute before turning back on, it boots fine. Likewise
    from the normal cold boot it works as expected: BIOS image on screen,
    goes through boot up process, beeps, boots into OS.
    I have checked for loose connections, checked the SCSI cabling and
    terminations, but still this goes on, repeatedly.
    Does this behaviour ring any bells with anyone? Anyone any idea why this
    is happening?

    Cheers

    Mark

    Computer is
    Tyan Thunder 2462 Motherboard (just over 3 years old)
    Tagan 480W PSU (8 months old)
    2 x Athlon MP 2600+
    4 x SCSI HDD
    Nvidia Quadro 980 VGA
    2 x Pioneer 109 DVD-Rs
    2.5 GB RAM

    Mark Morreau, Aug 18, 2005

  2. Mark Morreau

    Paul Murphy Guest

    That rings bells with my Tyan S2460 and Tagan 480 Watt PSU behaving in
    exactly the same manner. The issue is associated with the PSU warming up. I
    think you'll find that if you remove the PCs covers to get extra airflow
    through the PSU that the problem goes away and the machine reboots normally.
    I believe the Tagan 480 Watt PSU doesn't have very effective thermal fan
    speed control so when its to hot it just fails to supply the required
    voltages resulting in a failure to reboot.

    I bought one of these PSUs about 18 months ago and it behaved in the above
    manner until it went pop and stopped working about 6 months ago. A
    replacement was supplied and this has so far exhibited the same reboot
    problems with the covers on - I've therefore left the PCs side cover off. My
    suggestion would be to try a different model of PSU. Its a pity really
    because I've otherwise read excellent reviews for the Tagan 480 Watt unit
    and its certainly quiet.

    The test to confirm the above is to attempt a reboot as soon as the OS has
    fully loaded after a long spell of the machine being turned off. Its likely
    that will work fine. Now there are improved choices for Tagan PSUs I'm
    thinking of approaching Tagan for a "fix" - in the form of a different model
    which doesn't have this problem.

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, Aug 29, 2005

  3. Mark Morreau

    Mark Morreau Guest

    Thanks Paul,

    Your explanation makes total sense. I shall get on to Tagan straight
    away and see what they have to say.

    All the best

    Mark

    Mark Morreau, Aug 29, 2005
  4. Mark Morreau

    Paul Murphy Guest

    I'd be interested to know what they have to say if you care to post your
    results here! You may wish to mention to them that you'd heard of this
    problem with associated failure of PSUs with time.

    Paul

    Paul Murphy, Aug 29, 2005