Tyan Tiger MPX S2466 & Athlon MP 2600+ Barton

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Janz?=, Jun 25, 2004.

  1. Hi everybody,

    I just got two new CPUs for a Tiger MPX board (S2466N, not S2466N-4M)
    because one of the old ones failed (don't want to mix CPUs).
    I had expected these 2600+ to be Thoroughbred-Core (2133MHz, 256kB L2)
    but they seem to be Barton core. (The boxed-package says 2000MHz and
    512kB L2 and the writing on the CPU fits.)
    Now I'm wondering if these CPUs will run on the board.
    Tyan says up to Athlon MP 2600+ should run:
    http://www.tyan.com/support/html/cpu_athlon_duron_opteron.html
    Tiger MPX S2466 1GHz to 1.2GHz and 1500+ to 2800+ !

    ! Note: AMD Athlon MP 2800+ support applies to S2466N-4M version only,
    S2466N has maximum of Athlon MP 2600+ support.

    Does this refer to the Athlon MP 2600+ Thoroughbred?
    On the other hand they offer some newer BIOS versions for this board:

    05/27/04 2466N_105.ZIP

    TYAN Tiger MPX (S2466) V1.05
    New features and Fixes :
    * Added Ignore Keyboard Error option

    02/04/04 2466N_104.ZIP

    TYAN Tiger MPX (S2466) V1.04
    New features and Fixes :
    * Updated CPU Micro Coding for Barton MP CPU's

    05/07/03 2466N_103.ZIP

    TYAN Tiger MPX (S2466) V1.03
    New features and Fixes :
    * Added MP 2400, 2600+ Support
    * Added Single XP 2600+ Support
    * Updated DMI String

    So it looks like the board *does* support Barton - if it doesn't support
    it electrically why bother with BIOS support?

    Should I try to run the CPUs or should I give them back to the dealer?
    They literally promised a 'Athlon MP 2600+ / 2,13 GHz' CPU so I probably
    *could* give them back. But I need the new CPUs and I doubt that I can
    get older steppings very easily.

    André

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Janz?=, Jun 25, 2004

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Janz?=

    Rowdy Guest

    I am currently running dual MP 2800's on a S2466N. I flashed the V1.05
    bios.

    I do seem to be having a blue screen or two when I first boot up. I am
    begining to believe it is the onboard NIC.

    Anybody in the group have ideas?

    I am running a Highpoint Raid controler, Dual 160's RAID 0, and a USB card
    powered by a Thermaltake PSU 550 watts.

    I did have to upgrade the power supply from an Antec 430 watt psu.

    Rowdy, Jun 26, 2004

  3. Hi,
    That sounds good! In that case I will try.
    No idea, I'm running Linux on the machine. Basically everything works fine.
    Compared to what power supply and what CPUs before?
    I hope the machine will run with the same power supply. According to
    http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm (search for Athlon MP-1800+ and
    Athlon MP 2800+) the new CPUs should have a lower wattage than the old
    MP-1800+'s.

    Thanks,
    André

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Janz?=, Jun 27, 2004
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Janz?=

    Rowdy Guest

    I bought the board used on Ebay. My first go around was with the MP-2800's.

    BTW, I did put a Santa Cruz sound card in the mobo and works great. It
    hated the Sound Blaster 5.1.

    Good luck.

    Rowdy, Jun 29, 2004
  5. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Janz?=

    squared root Guest

    As I remember it, Turtle Beach did a good job with the drivers and
    getting them 'SMP certified'. Creative Labs on the other hand, decided
    they didn't want to deal with it and sat on their hands.

    I think the only other cards that worked in SMP well were the
    Hammerfall(sp?) and the Philips PSC706 (with beta drivers.. I think I
    still have these if anyone needs them).

    ,)`Q

    squared root, Jul 1, 2004
  6. The two 2600+ Barton are running fine now.
    No sound card in that machine and only a very simple video card (Rage XL
    AGP) since this is a compute server.

    André

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Janz?=, Jul 1, 2004
  7. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Janz?=

    Rowdy Guest

    I did solve the blue screens. I reformated and started over with a fresh
    install of XP Pro. I went to AMD's site and installed the correct drivers
    for the AMD-760 MPX chipset. I have not had a blue screen since.

    Rowdy, Jul 14, 2004