Tyan Tiger MPX won't turn on

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Jim Faulkner, Sep 24, 2003.

  1. Jim Faulkner

    Jim Faulkner Guest

    Hello,

    I recently purchased a Tiger MPX, 2 Athlon MPs, and 1 Gig of Registered
    PC2100.

    The last of the parts arrived today, and I started setting it up in my
    Lian Li PC70 case.

    Put everything together, pressed the power button... nothing. I started
    reseating the power connectors, and the fans started turning for a few
    seconds, but that was the last sign of life I've seen from the
    motherboard.

    Since then, I've taken everything apart, reseated the memory and the CPUs,
    tried each CPU alone, reseated the motherboard, tried using each of the
    two extra power connectors (and with all 3 power connectors plugged in),
    but the thing still won't turn on. When I reseat the power connector,
    and press the power button, the light on the ethernet port flickers for a
    second, but that's it.

    I have a future power 400W power supply, which is well within the limits
    shown in this FAQ:
    http://www.tyan.com/support/html/f_s2466.html

    Is there something else I should try or should I just get it replaced?

    thanks,
    Jim

    Jim Faulkner, Sep 24, 2003

  2. Hi,

    Try unplugging the power and clearing the CMOS. Now when you plug in the
    power, the board should automatically power up.

    Mitsubishi0uk, Sep 24, 2003

  3. Jim Faulkner

    Jim Faulkner Guest

    Nope, no luck. It still won't power up. The fans don't even budge.

    So, I guess I'm going to be returning this motherboard. From the looks
    of this:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=&rnum=59

    It seems that many people have this kind of problem with the Tiger MPX.

    Should I get just a replacement, or should I exchange it for a different
    AMD760MPX-based motherboard?

    thanks,
    Jim

    Jim Faulkner, Sep 24, 2003
  4. Jim Faulkner

    Dr Ratt Guest

    at those prices, i doubt very much if that psu is up to the job & as far as
    i can tell, they aren't recommended by tyan
    try a quality manufacturer such as antec or enermax

    Dr Ratt, Sep 24, 2003
  5. Jim Faulkner

    Jim Faulkner Guest

    I have a suspicion that you may be right... the power supply just barely
    meets the minimum requirements. Alot of people online seem to say that
    no-name brand power supplies don't actually live up to the specifications,
    and Future Power doesn't even acknowledge that they make power supplies on
    their web site.

    You would think that with nothing plugged in but one CPU and one fan it
    would at least start to turn on though...

    Anyway, I just ordered an Antec Tru550 power supply from the place I
    ordered the motherboard. They said if the motherboard still doesn't
    work I can return it for a full refund. I ordered the power supply
    via 2nd day air so I'll post a message here on Friday and let you guys
    know whether or not it worked.

    thanks,
    Jim

    Jim Faulkner, Sep 24, 2003
  6. I had a similar problem when I first built my Tyan Thunder system. It ended
    up being a faulty power supply.

    Ken

    P.S. I've got a spare NMB power supply that I used for a year on my system
    that I'd be happy to lend you for a test. (I'm pretty sure it's approved for
    the Tiger, but I'm not positive.)

    Kenneth E. Coakley, Sep 24, 2003
  7. Jim Faulkner

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Hi Jim,

    I recently installed a Thunder K7X Pro with two Athlon MP 2800. I also
    have 6 200GB HDDs in the system and I had serious problems fnding a
    powerful enough PSU. The problem is not the overall power rating, but
    the individual currents. The Thunder takes the CPU power from the 12V
    line. As far as I remember the Tiger MPX does the same.

    A very rough calculation says about 60 W per CPU plus 20% loss, giving
    about 12A load on the 12V line from the CPUs alone. If you hve a
    high-powered graphics card, add another 5-8A to that and annother 2A
    for each HDD.

    In my setting that is 12A + 6 * 2A = 24A, since the machine is a
    server with simple VGA only.

    With a current graphics card and 2 HDDs, your system could draw
    up to 12A + 8A + 4A = 24A on the 12V line.

    Even without the powerful graphics, 2 HDDs and 2 CPUs give you around
    16A, still too much for some 400W PSUs

    You should definitely use an ATX-12V PSU (ATX-12V has an extra square
    connector with two yellow and two black wires) or better an EPS one if
    the Tiger MPX supports that, since otherwise your connectors can burn
    up literally from the high current load if you only use the standard
    ATX connectors. The additional molex connector (yellow-black-black-red)
    is only suitable for single CPU operation, as far as I remember.

    The only PSU I could find for my set-up is the Fortron FSP550-60PLN.

    An Enermax EG465AX would also be enough, though I could not get that
    with the EPS connector and the Thunder definitely needs EPS with two
    CPUs.

    I hope this helps.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 25, 2003
  8. Jim Faulkner

    Arno Wagner Guest

    [...]

    P.S.: Your failure mode is entirely consistent with an overloaded PSU.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 25, 2003
  9. Jim Faulkner

    Bruce Burden Guest

    :
    : You should definitely use an ATX-12V PSU (ATX-12V has an extra square
    : connector with two yellow and two black wires) or better an EPS one if
    : the Tiger MPX supports that,
    :
    The EPX uses the extended connector, right? The MPX doesn't
    support that. I use a Tru Power 550 on my MPX w/2 GB reg/ecc and
    2x2600's, no problem.

    Bruce

    Bruce Burden, Sep 25, 2003
  10. Jim Faulkner

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Yes, EPS is a connector that is 4 pins wider (2 rows). In addition
    it has a connector with 8 pins (I think 3 of the 12V, but would need to
    check), instead of the 4 pin 12V connector of ATX12V.

    I also looked at the Tru Power 550, but couldn't get it with
    EPS connector, so I don't quite know how its numbers are.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Sep 25, 2003
  11. Jim Faulkner

    Jim Faulkner Guest

    No luck. I got my 550W Antec power supply today, plugged it in, pressed
    the power button, nothing.

    I just ordered an MSI K7D Master-L as a replacement... hopefully I will
    have more luck with that.

    thanks,
    Jim

    Jim Faulkner, Sep 26, 2003
  12. Jim Faulkner

    Brian Guest

    Have you tried it with no RAM or just 1 stick? It's worth a shot

    Brian, Sep 27, 2003
  13. Jim Faulkner

    Jim Faulkner Guest

    Yeah I've tried it all, tried with one CPU, with one stick of memory, with
    a few different power supplies... the most I ever get out of it is a
    flicker from the LED on the ethernet port. The board is definately DOA.

    Jim

    Jim Faulkner, Sep 27, 2003