Tyan Tiger S2460 memory problem

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Shaine Fisher, Aug 2, 2004.

  1. Quick one, I have a tyan tiger mp s2460, bought in november 2001.
    Memory is Crucial registered ECC 256mb chips (4 of), one in each slot
    power supply is a 500w affair,
    I have cooling fans one each of the 2 AMD 1.2GB MP chips, and front
    and rear of the case.
    2 creative sound cards, audigy 2's, creative CD writer, and creative
    DVD player, 2 floppy drives and a Maxtor 60GB hard drive 7200 rpm.
    Parhelia-512 256MB AGP Dual DVI video card.

    Now over the last year, starting at slot 4, one of the memory chips
    has blown every three months, in order 4, 3, 2, the last one has just
    blown, I have sent them back to crucial for replacement.

    BTW The reason I didn't flash the bios is because I couldn't, to flash
    the BIOS I would have to remove the operating system, WIN2000, as I
    can't get to the prompt screen with it on, and I havn't had the time
    to do it. SO it stayed as it was.

    Now the issue, when this new memory arrives is it likely to work in
    the board, as this is a very strange problem.
    Can't contact the original distributor of the board as it's dabs.com
    and the board is only covered by a one year warranty, so what's
    happening, has anybody else heard about this? Do I need to replace the
    board? and most importantly, why has it happened, will it happen
    again? and finally, if this is a board fault shouldn't I get a new one
    ;-) ?

    Regards
    Shaine

    Shaine Fisher, Aug 2, 2004

  2. You don't have to 'remove the operating system', to flash a BIOS. You
    either make a boot floppy (if you have a floppy drive), or a boot CD.
    The most likely thing is a batch memory problem. The odds are that all the
    modules are from the same batch, and occassionally, there are batches that
    fail. Seperately though, get a voltmeter, and check the supply rail to the
    RAM modules. I seem to remember there was an issue with some boards slight
    overvoltaging the memory modules (don't rely on the monitor program to
    test this).

    Best Wishes

    Roger Hamlett, Aug 2, 2004

  3. You don't have to 'remove the operating system', to flash a BIOS. You
    Thanks for your input, yeah I understand that flashing the bios thing,
    but everytime I tried it, and it went to PC world twice, we couldn't
    get the PC to a prompt screen to run the flash utility from the tyan
    site, always came up with an error or froze, the only time it ever
    does it.
    Anyway, great news all round, I've stripped it out now and flashed it,
    the memory was from the same batch and my crucial customer service
    girl did admit there may have been a problem with some memory chips
    way back when I bought them, so we'll see tomorrow when the new ones
    arrive.
    The voltage test, I'll give that a go tomorrow too, thanks for that,
    if it's a problem what's the solution, new board? Or really push the
    lifetime warranty on these crucial chips and keep sending them back
    when they break.

    Thanks again.
    Shaine

    Shaine Fisher, Aug 3, 2004
  4. Shaine Fisher

    Dr Ratt Guest

    the s2460 eats crucial ram - they've not been on the recommended list at
    tyan for over 2 years now
    i'd recommend samsung or kingston
    dr ratt

    Dr Ratt, Aug 3, 2004
  5. the s2460 eats crucial ram - they've not been on the recommended list at
    I must be insane, OK I've bitten, went to kingston this morning and
    order 4 1024 chips, sold the Crucial chips to a p4 user at work, lets
    give it a go, thanks for all your help guys and girls greatly
    appreciated.
    Still like this board, maybe upgrade the processors at the end of the
    summer to the 2.18 and upgrade the fans too.

    One final thing, the memory slots, I heard I'm not suppposed to use
    all four with 1024 chips due to supporting only 3gb memory, so which
    slot should I leave free, I always heard it should be 3, but 4 makes
    more sense, is there a slot your supposed to leave free when only
    using three chips, or am I had bad advice.

    Regards
    Shaine

    Shaine Fisher, Aug 3, 2004
  6. Shaine Fisher

    Dr Ratt Guest

    i've been using slots 1, 2 & 3 for about 2 years now but the mobo manual
    does have recommendations for how to install ram - this could be the root
    cause of the odd instability i've had with a pair of xp-m2400s
    also, i think 1024 sticks are all dual bank [sandra and other utils will
    help you ascertain whether this is the case] and the mp chipset can only
    handle 6 banks in use - ie, 3 sticks
    try 2cpu.com forums, as you'll find more advice & accounts of experience
    that will prove useful.
    dr ratt

    Dr Ratt, Aug 4, 2004
  7. Shaine Fisher

    Miloman Guest

    Did your memory have micron-chips on them? There have been more reports of
    sticks with these chips dying.....

    One of my Corsair sticks died recently, that is ECC doesn't work on that
    stick. ECC disabled runs fine....
    That s*cks......
    Paul.

    Miloman, Aug 5, 2004
  8. Sorry I have not replied, had my system in the shop getting a good
    service, the news is, the Tyan board can only handle a maximum of 3GB
    memory, and having 4 chips (total value less than 3 GB) doesn't seem
    to do any damage. (Well others who have this board aren't having any
    trouble.)
    This as I see it is a bad decision on behalf of tyan, but that's my
    opinion, as for the 6 banks maximum we'll have to see, I'm not taking
    the chance again.

    I have my system back on win2000 using 3x1024 chips, slots 1,2 and 4
    (don't ask why, the guy who serviced said this was the way he was told
    to do it by someone brighter than him) all Kingston memory, and we
    upgraded the processors and fans, and this thing is faster than ever,
    and still very stable, great for the sort of design work I do, I've
    been losing patience with Flash MX2004 for being slow, but this aint a
    problem any more, same for 3dStudio Max, dreamweaver, Swift 3D a whole
    load of software performing better than I can ever remember it doing.

    Big thanks to all again, I was ready to throw the board away and just
    buy a new pentuim based thing, I hadn't realised these things happened
    all the time, you gave me some good advice, and I appreciate it,
    thank-you.

    Regards
    Shaine

    Shaine Fisher, Aug 6, 2004