Tyan Transport TA26 (S2882T26) Support Dual-Core Opteron?

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by JM McDonald, Sep 3, 2005.

  1. JM McDonald

    JM McDonald Guest

    Hi All,

    Wish to run two Opteron dual-core 275 model CPUs in this platform. Tyan
    states that the on-board VRMs cannot supply proper power for dual-core
    CPUs. Of course I would have liked to see this in big bold text on the
    specs sheet BEFORE I purchased the thing, but alas now it is done.

    Question: Since the 275 models aren't the speediest available, and
    therefore don't pull the maximum amount of power, I'm wondering if the
    VRMs can support them? Also the system will be idle very often, and
    with PowerNow! it will draw even less power.

    Right now the BIOS doesn't recognize the CPU model. The BIOS is
    outdated, but I cannot upgrade to the latest yet since Tyan's site is
    refusing anonymous FTP logins (nice).

    Any ideas out there?

    Cheers,

    JM McDonald, Sep 3, 2005