TYan Trinity S2662 socket 478 motherboard

Discussion in 'Tyan' started by Gilles Dionne, Nov 21, 2007.

  1. Hi everyone!

    Need help with this board(I have 15 brand new ones!): Tyan Trinity S226.
    They are socket 478 intel granite i7205 chipset with
    onboard sound and gigabit ethernet, 6 usb 2.0, dual channel DDR200/266(4
    slots).
    I would like to use to build 15 XP workstations on the cheap!

    Followed instructions as per Tyan manual for setup:

    20 pin+4pin power supply(2 different)
    Micron DDR266(many RAM variations tried)
    P4 1.8Ghz, 400fsb & P4 2.66/533fsb

    - tried above in 3 of the brand new boards

    Always get the same result upon turning on power supply:

    - orange light near RAM turns on(I think RAM good signal)
    - lights on ethernet turn on(1 yellow, 1 green ie. 100BT + ok)
    - CPU fan spins
    - no video with either an AGP 4x(ATI Rage 128 pro) or PCI video card

    If I hit reset switch, I see the ethernet lights go off and come back on.

    Keyboard lights: Num lock can be switched on/off, caps lock & scroll lock do
    not
    show any activity(yes, I did try 2 different keyboards).

    Yes, I did try 2 different power supply.

    There is no beeping from the board(at boot or other to indicate bad
    ram/video etc...).
    Chipset on the boards becomes slightly warm as well as heatsink on CPU. All
    parts
    used with this board have also been seen working with other similar
    components(ie. no obviously
    defective parts are being used!!!!).

    I have found out that these boards were part of a batch built for
    Fujitsu-Siemens to use in one of
    their graphic workstations sold for big bucks a few years back. I think
    either a Cobalt or Celsius
    workstation. As such the boards have added
    connectors not shown in Tyan's manual but that can be seen on pictures for
    motherboard
    reviews done when this board came out. For instance this one at "hot
    hardware"

    http://www.hothardware.com/reviews/images/tyan_granitebay/boardshot.htm

    I see 4 extra connectors that could be used for a workstation:

    - a 6 pin molex that I assumed was extra power for the AGP Pro slot(the
    connector is between
    IDE connectors and RAM slots at the bottom near the AGP slot)

    - a sense 3 pin connector that looks like a fan connector(I presume for high
    end power supply that
    allow for fan monitoring)

    - a feature connector with 13 pins labeled LCD under the IDE connectors and
    above the extra USB ports(
    I presume to connect a case LCD display)

    - a power connector(labeled PWR3) with 8 pin in a non standard format(as far
    as I can tell) between the RAM slots
    and the 20 PIN MOLEX power connector -- I have no idea what this might be
    used for( see above picture at hot hardware).

    I have not connected anything to these extra connectors.

    Also I have cleared CMOS on each board.

    Any clues, suggestion, anyone with experience with these boards or the
    Fujitsu-Siemens workstation???

    Help!

    Gilles

    Gilles Dionne, Nov 21, 2007