Type 3 and Type 10 errors?????

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Michael Graham, Jun 14, 2004.

  1. Hi all

    I am posting this message, as my aunt is having some problems with her
    iMac computer. It all seemed to start about 1 1/2 weeks ago when she
    tried to print out an email (United Airlines itenerary) I sent her.
    She claims the computer froze up and she had to use a paper clip to
    restart it. Well in any event I was over there tonight trying to see
    if that was a one time thing or if it was a bigger problem. Seems to
    to be a much bigger problem. I say that as I got the following error
    messages this evening.

    -Claris Works 4.0 Type 3 error - I get this when trying to open up a
    new word processing document.
    -Internet Explorer (not sure what version) Type 10 error - I get this
    when trying to print a page from Amazon.com with lots of pictures.
    -Picture Viewer Type 10 error - I get this when trying to print one of
    the images from the previously mentioned page from Amazon.com.
    -Outlook Express Type 3 error- I get this when trying to print out an
    email from Outlook Express.

    I do understand that type 3 errors indicate a lack of memory, so I
    tried increasing memory on such application as Claris Works, but this
    did not work. Not sure what type 10 errors are. Hope someone else
    does.

    Below is the specifics about my aunts computer.
    iMac 233 MHz revision B running Mac OS 9.1 with 160 MB of ram.

    Please reply to this message if you can be of some help to me.

    Thanks in advance for your help in this matter.
    Michael Graham

    Michael Graham, Jun 14, 2004

  2. She may have developed directory damage during the attempt to print
    the suspect message. The errors don't mean much:
    type 3 error - Illegal Instruction
    type 10 error - Line 1111 Trap
    My suggestion is to run Diskwarrior to repair the directory damage,
    then to run PlusOptimizer to defragment, then finally to back up
    everything to CD or whatever.

    George Williams, Jun 14, 2004