Typing-Terror

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Boris Harss, Dec 2, 2005.

  1. Boris Harss

    Boris Harss Guest

    Hi, All!

    Another, still semi-new Apple user with a question to the greatly
    experienced:

    I would like to change the behavior of the e-mail/news reader
    Thunderbird to close when Apple-W is pressed. To be more precise, it
    should just ignore Apple-W or at least show a popup "Do you really want
    to close...?". The reason is, that just in this physical location on the
    German PC-keyboard, you find the "@" character. Guess, why I re-write
    every second e-mail from home... #-///

    It seem, that the Apple-W-Key is a system-wide setting, at least I
    cannot find any options for Thunderbird dealing with keyboard shortcuts.
    However, if I look at the System Preferences, I can't find any
    predefined settings for Thunderbird ether and also cannot find "Apple-W"
    at all.

    What do I miss? Blindness? Any ideas? Heeeeeeelp! ;-))

    Cheers,
    B.

    Boris Harss, Dec 2, 2005

  2. Boris Harss

    Boris Harss Guest

    Hi!
    because I work all day long with PCs, writing many e-mails, and pressing
    alt-w (in the position of Apple-W at home) for the @-character #-(.
    believe me, I would love to get used to this, if typing was not a
    backbone thing...

    Grrrrrreeetings,
    B.

    Boris Harss, Dec 2, 2005

  3. Salut Boris

    the @-sign should be on Wahltaste+L on the German keyboard (option + g
    for the Swiss German keyboard)
    For non German speaking: Wahltaste is the option key ;-)
    Yes, Command+W is systemwide (at least for most application). 1
    exception I know of ist the Swiss telefone directory
    (telinfo/directories CD). If you press command+h to hide the program, it
    displays you the help file in your default browser; if you press
    command+w nothing happens (it's a sh**y conversion of a Windows program)

    Cheers
    Andreas

    Andreas Rutishauser, Dec 2, 2005
  4. Boris Harss

    Paul Sture Guest

    Salut Andreas

    True on the Mac keyboard, but Boris said _PC-keyboard_.

    cf the Swiss German PC keyboard where @ is Gr-alt-2 (the right hand alt
    key).
    Ah, I always thought the Swiss telephone directory was Windows only
    (although it must be years since I actually looked). Is it a separate
    package or bundled with the Windows version?

    Paul Sture, Dec 2, 2005
  5. Boris Harss

    Boris Harss Guest

    Hi, Tim!
    Oh, yeah. Copy with CTRL-C vs Apple-C, ... #-)
    Thanks for that hint. I guess I give it a try, evenso the description of
    the last fixes in version 3.1 worry me a little:

    * Addressed a problem that causes menu items in cocoa popup menus
    to be displayed twice.
    * Fixed a crash when clicking on the iTunes dock item to open its
    dock menu.
    * Worked around a problem that caused a crash in Quicken 2006 if a
    command key was set on the Activities menu.
    * Custom shortcuts work again in Adobe Creative Suite 2
    applications (such as Photoshop CS2). Sneaky, Adobe, very sneaky.
    * No longer requires you open a menu at least once before custom
    shortcuts work in Word v.X and some other Carbon applications.
    * The exclude list now properly shows excluded applications.

    So, this little lest of things did *not* quite work after installing
    Menue Master... but there is especially the last line:

    * Includes smart crash reports.

    I don't want crashes, reported or not. Aiiighhhh!!!

    Cheers,
    B.

    Boris Harss, Dec 2, 2005
  6. Boris Harss

    Boris Harss Guest

    Hi, All!
    Where you write it - on the German one, it might be Alt-Gr-W, not Alt-W.
    I do not have a PC handy (sick at home today).

    Cheers,
    B.

    Boris Harss, Dec 2, 2005
  7. Boris Harss

    Paul Sture Guest

    And then you install OpenOffice on your Mac, and you're back to
    CTRL-C again. Now _that_ takes concentration!

    Paul Sture, Dec 2, 2005
  8. Salut Paul

    True on the Mac keyboard, but Boris said _PC-keyboard_.[/QUOTE]

    hm, first: do PC keyboards have an Apple key (what Boris wrote)? Second:
    it does not (or mostly not) matter if you attach a PC or Mac keyboard,
    it's the layout you're loading that matters.
    There are 2 products: Twixtel is Windows only, telinfo/directories CD is
    Mac/Win.

    Cheers
    Andreas

    Andreas Rutishauser, Dec 3, 2005
  9. Boris Harss

    Bob Harris Guest

    One possibility it to swap the Command and Option keys. That
    might match your finger memory more closely.
    System Preferences->Keyboard & Mouse->Keyboard->Modifier Keys...

    I like 'Spark' for some key modifications. Not sure if it would
    do what you need, but I offer it up as an option.

    Bob Harris

    Bob Harris, Dec 3, 2005
  10. Boris Harss

    Boris Harss Guest

    Hi, Bob!
    A radical approach! Hmmm... I do like the position of the Apply key, and
    I am willing to deal with the Apple-C vs. CTRL-C business. Only closing
    of my e-mail application - no saving, thanks a lot - when I type what
    should be an "@" kills me.
    Thank you, it is bookmarked! If Mozilla.org can't help and Tim's
    menuemaster toasts my system, I will try this one.

    Cheers,
    B.

    Boris Harss, Dec 3, 2005
  11. Save this as Library/KeyBindings/DefaultKeyBinding.dict or add it to
    the list in the file if it already exists:

    {
    "^z" = "undo:";
    "^x" = "cut:";
    "^c" = "copy:";
    "^v" = "paste:";
    }

    This will add Control bindings, for all Cocoa apps at least.

    Jochem

    Jochem Huhmann, Dec 4, 2005
  12. Boris Harss

    Paul Sture Guest

    hm, first: do PC keyboards have an Apple key (what Boris wrote)? Second:
    it does not (or mostly not) matter if you attach a PC or Mac keyboard,
    it's the layout you're loading that matters.
    [/QUOTE]

    I think Boris is using a Mac keyboard - it's just that his fingers
    automatically go to where @ is on a PC keyboard.
    Thanks for the info!

    Paul Sture, Dec 4, 2005
  13. Boris Harss

    Paul Sture Guest

    Salut Boris,

    a possible solution for you...

    I've found a way to change Thunderbird _only_ (no other programs
    affected) so that it uses CTRL instead of the Apple key for at least W,
    C, V, X - I haven't thoroughly tested it, and have noticed that Apple-Q
    still seems to be in force.

    If you are interested, I'll write it up for you.

    Paul Sture, Dec 4, 2005
  14. Boris Harss

    Boris Harss Guest

    Hi, Paul!
    I opened a "bug" with the Mozilla people, but that might take long to
    get results. While I am most interested in the very Apple-Q-key, I still
    would like to learn about the fix you have in mind! Maybe, you just post
    it here? Otherwise, my private e-mail works if you exchange the 0 with an o.

    Cheers & thanks,
    B.

    Boris Harss, Dec 5, 2005
  15. Boris Harss