U10 third party memory and 50ns <-> 60ns

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by T. Ribbrock, Aug 22, 2004.

  1. T. Ribbrock

    T. Ribbrock Guest

    Hi all,

    just ran into a little oddity: I got a U10/440 with 1GB RAM. Upon booting,
    the memory is reported as 60ns, which - as far as I read it, e.g. here - is
    not optimal for the 440MHz CPU. I therefore opened the box to investigate
    and found two 256MB original Sun 50ns DIMMs and two "MXK512E/SU10" modules
    from "Wichmann WorkX AG". I didn't find much about the latter, other than
    some scandal around "Wichmann WorkX AG" in 2000/2001, but the chips on those
    modules are labled 4LC16M4G3-5, which should be 50ns as well, theoretically.
    Still, if I put those in on their own, they are reported as 60ns, while the
    Sun modules are correctly recognized as 50ns.

    Has anybody ever experiences something like that and is able to shed some
    light on this?

    Thanks,

    Thomas

    T. Ribbrock, Aug 22, 2004

  2. Try to update the OBP to the latest version and see if that cures matters.
    /wfr
    Fredrik

    Fredrik Lundholm, Aug 23, 2004

  3. T. Ribbrock

    T. Ribbrock Guest

    Right. I'll try that, thanks.

    Thomas

    T. Ribbrock, Aug 24, 2004
  4. T. Ribbrock

    T. Ribbrock Guest

    Ok, the machine is now on OBP 3.31 (latest) - unfortunately, that didn't
    change anything. The third party modules are still recognised as 60ns.
    However, I know nothing about those modules - they may well have been sold
    as 60ns, even though the chips themselves are 50ns.

    Cheerio,

    Thomas

    T. Ribbrock, Aug 26, 2004