Ubuntu 6.10 on Vostro 1500

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ron Hardin, Aug 19, 2007.

  1. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I managed to get it sort of going, which is to say working as a UNIX system in
    familiar programmer mode, with no sound and probably no networking, but it's what
    I need.

    On installing 6.10 from the DVD, it craps out starting the X system.

    Cancel or exit out of everything until you get a terminal window. Typing exit
    a few times will cycle at the root window. Type (if you have a Navidia card; replace
    nv with ati if you have an ati card)

    $ sudo ed /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    /"nv"/s//"vesa"/
    wq
    $ startx

    and proceed with the install.

    6.10 has a bug if you're manually editing the partition table (independent of
    Vostro problems). When you get to the install choice, get a terminal window
    from ``Applications'' first.

    Type

    $ sudo ed /usr/lib/ubiquity/ubiquity/validation.py
    /result.*MOUNTPOINT_NOROOT)/s/r.*/pass/
    wq
    $ exit

    otherwise it will insist that you have allocated no / partition, even if you
    have. Be sure that you do, however.

    Sound will not work, and probably other things won't either. Maybe the Ubuntu
    October release will fix it all.

    Ron Hardin, Aug 19, 2007

  2. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Oh and the shutdown after install leaves you at the terminal window where you typed
    startx. Shutdown is achieved then by typing
    $ sudo shutdown -h now

    Ron Hardin, Aug 19, 2007