    Ajab Guest

    Can anyone give me any application notes/links which will help me to
    understand the uC and LCD (or uC and LCD controller) interfacing ?

    Ajab, Aug 21, 2007

  2. Ajab

    Ali Guest

    www.avrfreaks.net search Projects with LCD keyword.

    ali

    Ali, Aug 21, 2007

  3. Ajab

    Tim Wescott Guest

    Have you done web searches?

    An LCD segment turns dark (or light) when you apply voltage, and will get
    stuck that way if the voltage stays on. So an LCD controller applies a
    square wave to the segments you want to turn on -- that's a big part of
    the reason you need a controller instead of just logic and some resistors.

    Generally you only connect a micro directly to an LCD if the micro has an
    LCD controller built in.

    An LCD controller usually has an interface that makes it look like memory.
    You write the correct commands and data to it, and it does what you want.

    --
    Tim Wescott
    http://www.wescottdesign.com

    Tim Wescott, Aug 21, 2007
  4. Ajab

    svenand Guest

    svenand, Aug 21, 2007
  5. Ajab

    linnix Guest

    Actually, you can do it with logics and DC/DC converters. I am
    driving an LCD panel by toggling port pins only, but it's using up all
    the micro processing power. So, in theory, you can build an LCD
    controller with standard CPLD, FPGA or ASIC. For high volume, ASIC w/
    dumb uC might be cheaper than LCD uC.

    linnix, Aug 21, 2007
  6. Ajab

    Chris Giese Guest

    Text LCDs have an HD44780 control chip. These are easy to
    interface, but text is all they can display.

    "Dumb" ECM-A0526 640x480 graphic LCD driven by a 48 MHz PIC
    (and apparently nothing else!):
    http://tim.cexx.org/projects/lcd/

    "Dumb" ECM-A0526 640x480 graphic LCD driven by a PIC,
    some dynamic ram (DRAM), and a few other chips:
    http://www.nyx.net/~jpurbric/lcd/

    ATmega8 microprocessor driving a semi-intelligent (KS0108
    controller chip) PVG120602EGE 128x64 graphic LCD:
    http://www.attiny.com/graph.htm

    AVR CPU driving an intelligent (SED1330 controller chip)
    graphic LCD:
    http://www.microsyl.com/graphlcd/graphlcd.html

    Lots of LCD code for PIC microprocessors:
    http://www.sxlist.com/techref/io/lcd/pic.htm

    Atmega 16 CPU, T6963C intelligent controller:
    http://www.8052.com/codelib/T6963C-Ver3.rar

    Chris Giese, Aug 21, 2007
  7. Ajab

    Don McKenzie Guest

    perhaps a complete solution may suit you:
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/home.php?cat=263

    Don...

    --
    Don McKenzie

    Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
    No More Damn Spam: http://www.wizard-of-oz.com

    Serial OLED uses standard micro-SD memory cards.
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16659

    USB Flash Drive interface for existing products.
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/product.php?productid=16654

    Don McKenzie, Aug 21, 2007
  8. Ajab

    Tim Wescott Guest

    There are dedicated LCD controllers out there, both big and little. I'm
    currently using a small graphics LCD panel; the only data sheet I refer to
    is the one for the driver. That ought to be even cheaper than an ASIC for
    all but the highest of volumes.

    --
    Tim Wescott
    http://www.wescottdesign.com

    Tim Wescott, Aug 22, 2007
  9. Ajab

    linnix Guest

    We are currently using the LCD AVR, but $4 @10K is kind of expensive.
    A dumb AVR is less than $1.5. I think we can add LCD function to an
    ASIC for less than $1, given that we need an ASIC anyway.

    linnix, Aug 22, 2007