UK vacancy: Senior Embedded Software Engineer; STB, RTOS etc

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Guest, Sep 21, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Sep 21, 2005

  2. Guest

    Ostereich Guest

    ,

    If I had a £ for every agent that spammed me....

    From my experience, agents that use this type of technique are the ones to
    avoid. Generally they are the ones that send you untargeted CV's by the
    bucketload, send your CV to people you don't want it to go to, generally
    waste your time.

    Believe it or not, there are some agents out there that take time to
    understand your requirements, select candidates carefully, and actually earn
    their fee.

    Ostereich, Sep 21, 2005

  3. Guest

    Chris Hills Guest

    Dear Osterich

    We have found your CV interesting. You mention have experience of
    General's, agents and targets. Would you being tested in a vacancy we
    have coming up at the White House (USA). :)
    Few and far between.

    Chris Hills, Sep 21, 2005
  4. You obviously didn't read it.

    It's a direct requirement
    There's no connection between listening to the wants of
    the candidate and earning their fee. The candidate isn't
    paying them anything

    tim

    tim \(moved to sweden\), Sep 21, 2005
  5. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Thank you for pasting our office manager's email address into your
    Usenet posting Ostereich. I assume our spam filtering software will
    mean she won't see the results, but thanks for the thought.

    A visit to our website will clarify that this is a genuine vacancy in a
    real UK company. A search of Usenet or the internet archive or even the
    patent office will show that our company has a 30 year history in video
    R&D - hardly a front for a job agency or a spammer!

    Apologies if a job advert is considered spam in this group (or related
    ones) - I could find no specific mention of this.

    We look forward to hearing from suitable candidates.

    Cheers,
    David.

    Guest, Sep 22, 2005
  6. That has been bad, really.
    Maybe next time, write a bit more about the vacancy, not just a link.
    Esp. today with all these phishing, a
    Visit
    http://www.dwightcav.co.uk
    and follow the link "Jobs"
    is more pleasant.
    IHMO, direct job adverts aren't spamming, this has been habit since
    I'm reading newsgroups (for 10 years now).

    As I said above, writing a bit more about the company and the vacancy
    is better.

    42Bastian Schick, Sep 22, 2005
  7. Guest

    Ian Bell Guest

    Pity then that it is such a poor quality advert. Full of what *you* want but
    very little about what you offer in return. You need to remember that to
    recruit the best candidates you really need to sell yourselves.

    Ian

    Ian Bell, Sep 22, 2005
  8. I hope you're joking, Ian, because there's nothing wrong with anything
    this guy has done and there's nothing wrong with his ad.

    Jeez... you guys. Breathe... one two three... out... one two three and
    relax.

    Paul.

    Paul Marciano, Sep 22, 2005
  9. Guest

    Ian Bell Guest

    No I am definitely not joking. I spent over 20 years successfully recruiting
    high calibre engineers and IME this type of advert just does not cut it.
    There is absolutely nothing in it to differentiate this company from any
    other employer in the eyes of the prospective candidate. You may get away
    with that in a buyers market but when engineers are scarce they will have a
    lot of trouble attracting good candidates. Good engineers are a valuable
    resource so it is poor business management not pay proper attention to the
    means of attracting and retaining them.

    Ian

    Ian Bell, Sep 23, 2005
  10. Guest

    MSC Guest

    Both arguments are valid.

    When I first looked at it, it looked just like one of hundreds of
    adverts that seem to come from every agency on the planet, advertising
    the same 3 jobs at Pace in Bradford (Saltaire is a dump of a place in
    the arse end of beyond, poor salary, rubbish professional advancement
    and high staff turnover). I guess their employees are being targeted
    here.

    There is an excess of vagueness and rather generic specifications in
    the Personal Attributes section. (e.g. " Ability to work to
    deadlines") and they seem to want a senior engineer with a lots of
    experience but someone who wants to build a career? (nothing unusual
    there, everyone wants something for nothing - senior engineers'
    careers should be pretty much built already) and to DCS's credit,
    there is more information than the usual job ad. However...

    (quote from ad)
    Sorry guys, this is probably *the* most important part. Attractive may
    be £16k or £160k depending on who you are. I know places who think 1
    day over the legal minimum hoiday is "attractive" whereas many high
    level engineers may think anything under 30 days is decidedly
    unattractive.

    If it really *is* attractive then you should say what it is, that way
    you will get the best people applying for the job. Putting
    "negotiable" is no better, and expect no sympathy if you say "well it
    all depends on the individual". If you were selling your house, you
    wouldn't put describe it as "Three bed semi, really good
    specification, attractive price" would you? If you really are trying
    to attract highly experienced and skilled people here (and not just
    someone who is "ok") possibly from the other end of the country, who
    would probably be heading for a family upheaval, moving house, change
    of lifestyle and a lot of stress then they need to know what is in it
    for them.

    It's especially important to be aware that you are recruiting
    Engineers here, people who like good clear specifications, and to whom
    vague specifications are anathema. Your own job spec says "Ability to
    produce clear, concise documentation". Words like "attractive" may be
    concise, but are far from clear and convey no information whatsoever.

    "Attractive" Mike

    (Being a pro-active self-starter with a higher Degree, presenting a
    clear and concise work of reasoned argument within a critical document
    for internal and external consumption at all levels)

    MSC, Sep 24, 2005