    does anyone know, if it is possible to put a 120GB HD into an Sun Ultra?

    Sincere

    AB

    Arne B?hling, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Hi!

    Is there a limitation (in size or firmware) for the OpenBoot to find
    disks? Even if it's only a 36GB disk (wich IS SCA ;)

    Bye, Nils
    --
    Nils Bokermann /"\
    Johanneswerkstr. 90 \ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign

    Nils Bokermann, Oct 15, 2003

  3. The Ultra 1 needs SCSI disks with a SCA connector.
    ICBW but I have not seen a 120Gb SCSI disk.

    Chris Newport, Oct 15, 2003

  4. Hi!

    Actually I had a problem with a 36GB disk in my Ultra 2. The OpenBoot
    scsi selfcheck "probe_scsi" did hang the machine. My disk was a Seagate
    Harddrive. Anything about this?

    Bye, Nils

    Nils Bokermann, Oct 15, 2003
  5. No practical limit.
    Maybe someone will come up with a multi-terabyte disk that hits
    a limit, but not this year.

    Chris Newport, Oct 15, 2003
  6. Arne B?hling

    Jeff Wieland Guest

    Some hard drives need to have a jumper installed to force single-ended
    SCSI (non-LVD) to work on certain Suns. You might want to try doing
    so. I had a 72 GB IBM 73LZX drive running in a Ultra 1 for a month or
    so with no problems (I was using it to gather router statistics, so we
    needed a lot of disk space). I *did* install the force S/E mode jumper,
    though, just to be sure.

    Please remove the "nospam" from my address if replying via email.

    Jeff Wieland, Oct 15, 2003
  7. Arne B?hling

    Arne B?hling Guest

    Hi,

    I know that the Ultra 1 needs SCSI, but we want to use a
    SCSI/IDE-Converter to use an 120GB hd.....

    Arne B?hling, Oct 15, 2003

  8. probe-scsi always hangs the machine unless it is executed before
    the system is ever booted.

    halt the system; reset the system; Stop-A before the system boots and
    then try probe-scsi.

    Casper

    Casper H.S. Dik, Oct 16, 2003

  9. Ok, maybe I did not state that clear enough: It was a cold start and my
    systems dont do auto-boot ;)

    And I could not boot with the big disk. And yet I didn't find the time
    to jumper the "SE" Jumper ;)

    Ok -- a cold boot after system maintenance should do ;)

    Bye, Nils

    Nils Bokermann, Oct 17, 2003