    or its just random? (assuming no upgrade/downgrade has been performed)

    many thanks
    nm

    nm, Sep 7, 2003

  2. nm

    Rich Teer Guest

    I've not seen blue, but red is a Creator or Creator 3D, and green
    is the non-Creator version. In other words, red is an Ultra 1E,
    and green is an Ultra 1.

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Sep 7, 2003

  3. nm

    Dave Uhring Guest

    Better to read the label on the rear of the PSU. This one shows A12-170
    which means that it is an Ultra 1E/170. And while it does have a red
    background for the 1 on the front panel and claims to be have a Creator 3D
    someone -might- have pulled the C3D framebuffer and replaced it with a TGX
    so the label can be misleading.

    http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/

    Dave Uhring, Sep 7, 2003
  4. nm

    Rich Teer Guest

    Agreed - but the OP did state "assuming no modifications".

    --
    Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

    President,
    Rite Online Inc.

    Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

    Rich Teer, Sep 7, 2003
  5. nm

    Andrew Tyson Guest

    I've not seen blue, but red is a Creator or Creator 3D, and green
    There's also an Ultra 1 Enterprise(blue/red) that does not have a UPA
    slot (there's 3 SBus slots). So you have to use an SBus based framebuffer.

    Andrew

    Andrew Tyson, Sep 8, 2003
  6. nm

    nm Guest

    Many thanks guys,
    I was just looking for a quick way to tell spec differences in a pile of
    pizzaboxes without having to open them up. (they would ofcourse be
    opened up later on but i was trying to save some time - yes i can be
    *almost* sure about the "no modifications" part)

    All your info helped.
    Thanks again

    nm, Sep 8, 2003
  7. nm

    Glenn Guest

    + On 07-Sep-03 16:50:48
    Red is normally an Ultra1E - wich means 100Mbit (hme0) and WideSCSI..
    green is normally only 10mbit (le0) and narrowSCSI.

    Dunno if all 1E have Creator3d-cards, but they at least have the UPA-slot
    that makes it possible to connect one.. the old U1's have an extra SBUS
    slot there instead.

    However, I seen several "wrong labeled" Ultra1 machines, dont know if sun
    shipped them this way, or if someone accidenticaly swapped covers of them.

    ...Never seen a blue dot.. someone else might be able to explain what that
    means..

    ...So if you only have the color of the dot to choose from, take the
    red pill..Eh dot.. but if you can look at the backside of the machine
    that's safer, if you can do that, take the machine that have wide
    SCSI-connector.. (you can also check that it should have a AUI
    connector that is not the normal 10mbit one, but a highdensity one),
    in short, you want an Ultra1E :)

    Glenn, Sep 8, 2003