Ultra 10 doesn't respond to any keyboard input? Help?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Chris Johnson, Jan 13, 2006.

  1. I've got an Ultra 10 with a Type 6 keyboard.

    This machine is new to me.

    It tries to net boot but I just put a hard drive in it that
    came from another U10 and it's supposedly a good bootable
    drive with an OS (Solaris 9, I think...) that I should be able
    to use as is.

    Press the del key during startup to enter openboot does nothing.

    It doesn't even respond to the power key...or the standby button
    on the face of the chassis.

    If I just turn the unit on by the master power switch, it comes
    up. It does recognize the keyboard as present. But it does
    not allow me to use the keyboard. Not even the caps lock LED
    lights when I hit the caps lock key.

    It's like the keyboard isn't even connected, but for the fact
    that the unit does display a message showing that the keyboard
    is connected.

    And please verify that it's the DEL key I need to press to get
    into the boot prom?

    Help?

    CJ

    Chris Johnson, Jan 13, 2006

  2. Chris Johnson

    Dave Guest

    If it is set up to boot from the network, it will do so whether or not
    there is a disk in it. You need to change that.

    If it has Solaris installed, I would forget it and install Solaris 10.
    Finding your way around another installation is going to be a nightmare
    and not useful.
    The DEL key has no significance on Suns. Forget about CTRL-ALT-DEL, DEL,
    pressing F6 or whatever, none of them will have any effect whatever.
    The best plan, given the machine is new to you, is to set all the
    parameters in the NVRAM in the open boot prom (OBP) to defaults. You do
    that by powering the machine off, pressing the STOP and N keys together,
    then powering the machine on, holding down the keys for a few seconds.
    Is it a Sun keyboard?
    No.

    Usually STOP-A (hold down stop and A keys at any time you want), but I
    suggest resetting to defaults first with stop-n (see above).

    --
    Dave K

    It is always of the form: [email protected] Hitting reply will work

    Dave, Jan 14, 2006

  3. Chris Johnson

    Dave Guest

    Dave wrote:

    A couple of corrections/addions to what I said a minute ago.
    stop-n will do it for you, and attempt to boot from the first internal
    disk, rather than the network.
    Download the iso images from the Sun web site and burn to CD.
    http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/get.jsp

    it takes a while to download, so you sould start that asap.

    After you get the defaults set in the nvram, the machine will attempt to
    boot from a disk (it might boot from your disk you have, but I would not
    care either way). Press stop and A and get an OK prompt.

    ok> boot cdrom

    type "boot cdrom" and run the install program.

    If you don't have a CD drive, you have more of a problem. Ask if that is
    the case.

    Like with windoze, you should not stop the OS abruptly, but shut it down
    cleanly. Although you can get to the open boot prompt at any time with
    stop-a, it is not a good idea to do so unless you need to.

    Dave, Jan 14, 2006
  4. Chris Johnson

    J.O. Aho Guest

    It's not that much of trouble, you can setup a tfpt server, from where the
    machine fetches the startup/install kernel, think this is described on the
    Solaris CDs. At sparc.gentoo.org you would find a nice description how to
    setup a tftp server on linux.

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Jan 14, 2006
  5. Thanks for the help, guys.

    Stop-A and stop-N. I'd forgotten about those.

    It's been a while since I last played with a Sun. A few years back I
    picked up an Ultra 2 for almost nothing, built a complete system with
    it, used it for a while as a virus-proof internet computer, and then
    sold it for a rather fat profit. Nothing in, four hundred out. I'll
    take that sort of profit margin!

    I downloaded and burned the Solaris 10 CDs several days ago, actually.

    The process has begun.

    I'm hoping to learn a lot more this time around. Like how to install
    software packages, at least. Maybe figure out what this "compiler"
    thing is that seems to be so important, and what it does and when
    and how to use it.

    Oh, the keyboard is a brand new Sun type 6 keyboard and mouse package.
    I broke the seal on their box myself. The monitor is a nice 21" late
    model Sun (Sony made) unit that's a twin of the one I'm running on my
    PC. SWEET monitors. FAR superior to ANY LCD monitor ever made yet.

    I got three used but allegedly "intact" hard drives from other U5s
    and U10s. I want to see if I can get anything useful out of any of
    them before I wipe them out. For one, one came from the same
    machine that a SCSI card I got came from. So if that works, I should
    have a SCSI adapter running right away. Otherwise, I'll have to
    find the installation files for that card and reinstall it.

    CJ

    Chris Johnson, Jan 14, 2006
  6. Oh yeah....both this and the U5 do have CD-rom drives.

    I'm curious about just one thing at this moment...do these units have
    the power to play DVDs?

    I presume that DVD drives are available that will run with them?

    The idea here is, if the U10 has enough power to play DVDs and do it
    well, then I'd like to make it my media server, in conjunction with
    an SGI TP9100 2GB Fibre Channel storage array that I picked up along
    with these computers. Granted, I'd have to get an FC controller,
    but I'd do that if the computer will suit that need. I'll be
    serving greater than 1TB in movies IF this works and IF I actually
    figure out how to do it. Serving them into my home theater.

    I'd really like to use it as a media server for HD movies, but
    somehow, I doubt that a U10 has the video power to run them at
    the resolution I need. (1920x1080, 60 FPS)

    CJ

    Chris Johnson, Jan 14, 2006
  7. Chris Johnson

    J.O. Aho Guest

    I haven't tried, but if you replace the CDrom, you can atleast benefit from
    the size of the DVD as storage.

    Just any IDE DVD should do...

    Don't think even the Creator3D that comes with some of the U10s has a such
    resolution, think they max at 1200x1600 if not even less. The ATi thats built
    in isn't much really, enough for console but hardly for anything else IMHO.

    //Aho

    J.O. Aho, Jan 14, 2006
  8. Chris Johnson

    Dave Guest

    I believe that is incorrrect. It certainly runs at 1600x1200, the
    Creator 3D in my Ultra 80 runs at that, as you can see below. It's am

    sparrow / % fbconfig -prconf

    --- Hardware Configuration for /dev/fb ---
    Type: double-buffered FFB2+ with Z-buffer
    Board: rev 2 (Vertical)
    PROM Information: @(#)ffb2p.fth 2.9 98/07/14
    FBC: version 0x3241906d
    DAC: Brooktree 9070, version 1 (Pac2)
    3DRAM: Mitsubishi 130a, version 1
    EDID Data: Available - EDID version 1 revision 3
    Monitor Sense ID: 6 (Unknown 41x31cm RGB color monitor)
    Monitor possible resolutions: 1024x768x60, 1024x768x70, 1024x768x75,
    640x480x60, 640x480x60i, 1600x1200x60, 1600x1200x60d
    Current resolution setting: 1600x1200x60 Hi-res

    and it would appear that it supports the 1920x1080 the poster wanted, at
    on of the lines printed by fbconf -res is

    1920x1080x60d *

    See:

    sparrow / % fbconfig -res \?
    Valid values for -res option are:
    NONE
    1024x768x60
    1024x768x70
    1024x768x75
    1024x768x77 *
    1024x800x84 *
    1152x900x66 *
    1152x900x76 *
    1280x800x76 *
    1280x1024x60 *
    1280x1024x67 *
    1280x1024x76 *
    1280x1024x85 *
    960x680x112s *
    960x680x108s *
    640x480x60
    640x480x60i
    768x575x50i *
    1440x900x76 *
    1600x1000x66 *
    1600x1000x76 *
    1600x1280x76 *
    1920x1080x72 *
    1920x1200x70 *
    1920x1200x75 *
    1600x1200x60
    1600x1200x75 *
    1600x1200x60d
    1920x1080x60d *
    1920x1200x60d *
    1280x1024x60c *
    svga
    1152 *
    1280 *
    stereo *
    vga
    ntsc
    pal *

    Notes:
    * monitor does not support this resolution.

    As far playing DVDs, I have no real idea, but somehow I doubt it. I
    think you need a pretty modern PC for that at high resolution, so I
    somewhat dobut an ol Sun will be able to.

    Dave, Jan 14, 2006
  9. Chris Johnson wrote on 2006-01-14 04:27:
    The U10 will work with a DVD, but don't expect super performance. I have
    a Plextor PX-716A DVD writer in my U10; it works well, but it is too
    slow to burn at the drive's full speed (16X), I only get about 4X.

    Erlend Leganger, Jan 14, 2006
  10. HI,

    Ohh, 1920x1080 60FPS! Is that a projector or a TV?

    It must be extremly expensive, so why stick to a old U10?

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, Jan 14, 2006
  11. Chris Johnson

    dion_b Guest

    Do you mean to physically access the disc at acceptable speeds or do you
    mean to decode the MPEG2-streams on them?

    Of course the former is possible (I/O is one of the area Sun systems
    excel in), but the latter is probably pushing it, although I haven't
    tried it personally.
    Any IDE drive will work.
    You seem to be either mixing things up or contradicting yourself here.
    The former paragraph implies that the Sun itself will not be decoding
    the data but merely serving it accross the network, something an Ultra10
    can do fine up to 100Mbps (lacking 64b PCI, you won't get full Gb
    performance, although a Gb card will outperform the built-in 100Mb).

    Your latter paragraph with its concern about video power of the Sun
    implies the Sun will be doing the decoding and streaming the result over
    the network. No way will that work...

    I have a completely maxed U10 (440MHz CPU, 1GB RAM etc.) that, using a
    stripped mplayer can *just* manage a decently coded Xvid at 'normal' PAL
    resolutions. Scaling up to full screen (1152x900 in my case) is a no-no
    though. This has nothing to do with the video subsystem, it's purely CPU
    limited.

    dion_b, Jan 15, 2006
  12. I'm curious about just one thing at this moment...do these units have
    Unfortunately it seems not. I have tried with an Ultra 5 350, (Running
    Debian Linux) and it wasnt nearly close to being watchable.

    I think this has more to do with the power of the default graphics card
    in an Ultra 5 rather than the power of the machine itself though.

    Still as someone else has pointed out, they make great mass storage
    devices, especially as Solaris now comes on DVD. I have had no problems
    reading and writing DVDs with my U5.
    Mine was from a local UK computer sales chain. Nothing special. Worked
    out of the box. Even booted a Solaris install DVD.
    Certainly on my machine, the default video doesnt seem to be up to the
    task at 1024x768. I dont know about how much better a Creator 3D would be.

    graham salkin, Jan 15, 2006
  13. Chris Johnson

    dion_b Guest

    Highlu unlikely. The graphics chip (even the crappy onboard on the
    U5/10) only has one job: sending the pictures the CPU generates to the
    screen. Even though the ATI chip claims to be a "Rage+ DVD", Solaris
    only uses the pure framebuffer functionality (as does Linux, Sparc or
    x86). In other words all MPEG2-decoding is done in CPU. Unfortunately if
    my MPEG4/XViD experiences are anything to go by, this is not one of the
    strong points of the UltraSparc architecture, as it seems to perform
    marginally worse than a similarly equipped and clocked Pentium 2.

    I tried on both onboard framebuffer and a nice UPA Creator3D. No
    noticeable difference (apart from higher max resolutions of course, but
    the CPU wasn't able to cope with the m64's max, let alone what the
    Creator could do).
    Yep, the old days of buggering around with soldered jumpers on obscure
    half-height Toshiba CDRom drives are well and truly over. Here my U10 is
    fitted out with a crappy Cyberdrive CDRW and and an AOpen DVD-ROM. Works
    like a dream.
    A media server does not need to display anything itself. It should even
    be able to work headlessly if required. All it needs is good I/O
    performance, which is something the SparcStations excel in.

    dion_b, Jan 17, 2006
  14. I stand corrected.
    I am used to my U5 outperforming my desktop P800 in most things I seem
    to do, so it seemed strange that it had problems with something that my
    friends P350 managed.
    Good point, although i would add that the U5/10 IDE disk system is one
    of the exceptions to this, and if you really want good I/O, you should
    consider a SCSI card.

    graham salkin, Jan 17, 2006