Ultra-2 server /w no graphic card - how to use?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by SparcBoy, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. SparcBoy

    SparcBoy Guest

    Hi,

    I just opened the Ultra-2 server I got cheaply. To my surprise, it
    doesn't even have a graphics card. The box was still sealed when I got
    it, unused.

    I checked the manual, it says the UPA graphic card is available only for
    workstation model. This means I don't even need a graphic card on a
    server machine. But how can do the initial configuration and software
    upgrade? It did give me the ethernet address "08:00:20:a1:8a:69". But I
    can't figure out how to start without a monitor attached.

    these must be a naive questions again. But can anyone please give me
    some hints as to how to start with such a server?

    many thanks,
    Ben

    SparcBoy, Jul 4, 2003

  2. SparcBoy

    Rob Stampfli Guest

    The servers didn't come with a graphics card by default, but they
    should certainly accomodate them. Your options are:

    1. Acquire a UPA card (e.g. creator) and install it in the UPA slot.

    2. Acquire an SBUS card (e.g. cgsix) and install and use that.

    3. Unplug the keyboard and access the Ultra-2 via the first
    serial port at 9600 baud.

    Rob

    Rob Stampfli, Jul 4, 2003

  3. Most likely it was intended as a headless server.
    Yes, you don't need one - unless you want to use it as a
    workstation in which case you would also need a monitor,
    keyboard and mouse.
    See my other comment about ASCII terminals and terminal emulation.
    Also, if you have a framebuffer (the correct name for a graphics card
    in a Sun) in one of your other Suns, you can take it out and use it.

    -am © 2003

    Anthony Mandic, Jul 4, 2003
  4. SparcBoy

    SparcBoy Guest

    thank you Anthony for the insight,

    yes, this is actually what I need, except I have to configure it first.
    I don't have k&m for it either.
    I tried this, it works great. I installed Solaris 8.

    MAny, many thanks for all the insight.

    bfz.

    SparcBoy, Jul 4, 2003
  5. SparcBoy

    SparcBoy Guest

    I pulled a serial cable from my old stuff that I used years ago to
    connect two win95 machine. Is this a null-modem. I tried this on the
    Ultra-2, and followed all that in your site, but nothing came to my
    winterm screen.
    I suppose the cable may not be the right one, but am determined to make
    this tip from you work for me. Will visit the staple store tonight to
    get a "null modem". Will let you know when I succeed.

    many thanks for the tip.
    bfz.

    SparcBoy, Jul 4, 2003