Ultra 2 - Tommy can you hear me?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Vincent Vega, Sep 10, 2003.

  1. Vincent Vega

    Vincent Vega Guest

    Hi. I'm trying to boot an U2 I've acquired. Powerup with display and
    keyboard attached results in no activity on monitor, though the
    keyboard lights flash and you can hear the drives spin up. I've
    verified the processors both work in another machine, I've verified
    the RAM all works in another machine, and I've verified the disks both
    work in another machine. When I attach a console, without the keyboard
    or monitor attached, I get a single ASCII diamond character (not sure
    what ASCII code this is) and then nothing, no enters or control-breaks
    will drive anything (yes, I've verified the cable and terminal work as
    well, disconnecting from a live session immediately prior to testing,
    and verifying best reconnecting to the other machine after this one
    fails).

    Am I safe to assume I've got some kind of motherboard failure, flaky
    jumper, (i just thought of this - possibly a different board rev that
    doesn't support the memory or processor of the other machines?).
    Anyhow, I thought I'd post as I haven't seen this before and I thought
    the Diamond would mean something to someone who may have experienced
    it too. Thanks in advance.

    Vincent Vega, Sep 10, 2003

  2. Vincent Vega

    CJT Guest

    It probably means the baud rate is set to something other than what
    you're using.

    CJT, Sep 10, 2003

  3. Vincent Vega

    Paul Gress Guest

    Try a "stop-N" to reset the NVRam to default condition.

    Paul

    Paul Gress, Sep 11, 2003
  4. Vincent Vega

    Vincent Vega Guest

    It probably means the baud rate is set to something other than what
    One other thing I have tried is booting STOP-N with a monitor attached
    in the hope it would default to using the Creator card. Assuming
    STOP-N resets the nvram, wouldn't that resent the baud rate to default
    9600?

    Vincent Vega, Sep 11, 2003
  5. Vincent Vega

    CJT Guest

    I think that's correct.

    CJT, Sep 11, 2003
  6. Vincent Vega

    Vincent Vega Guest

    Thanks Paul, I gave that about 10 tries at different times to no
    avail. I don't get a beep or anything. They keyboard lights all
    flash when power is first applied, but after that, numlock and
    capslock don't light up when you hit them - its as if it starts doing
    something immediately and locks up upon startup. It wouldn't be so
    frustrating if there was *anything* to go on, but that's all there is:
    disks spin, kbd lights flicker, serial console displays a single
    diamond.

    Vincent Vega, Sep 11, 2003
  7. Vincent Vega

    Vincent Vega Guest

    In addition to stop-N, I've tried every baud rate possible
    just-in-case, some rates I get the same diamond character, on some
    other rates, the character changes to a - (minus sign), at the slower
    rates, nothing displays at all. Also, judging from the disc activity,
    the proper boot process never seems to start (i.e., a machine
    constantly hard-powered-off like that would be running filesystem
    checks on every proper boot, I used to the 'sound' of the discs during
    fsck and I don't hear it, which leads me to believe its more than
    simply a display problem - the thing is dying somewhere during the
    boot process, but without ability to get to obp, I have no idea where
    to start looking to find out why)

    Thanks.

    Vincent Vega, Sep 11, 2003
  8. What part number is the system board?
    What part number are the DIMMS?
    What part number are the processor(s)?

    Do you have same size DIMMS in sockets U401, U501, U601 and U701? (4
    required)

    What is your jumper J2301 setting?

    Thomas

    Thomas Tornblom, Sep 11, 2003
  9. Vincent Vega

    Vincent Vega Guest

    What part number is the system board?
    501 3132 154654
    Yes, the 4 above
    1-2 I believe, assuming the * is on Pin 1.

    ASCII Diagram - it looks like this:
    ============= =============
    SBUS SOCKET SBUS SOCKET
    ============= =============
    |i|
    |i|
    | |
    J2301
    With the jumper where the two "i"s are.Thanks for your help

    Vincent Vega, Sep 11, 2003
  10. Everything seems OK, so it does indeed seem that there is something
    broken.

    Thomas

    Thomas Tornblom, Sep 11, 2003