    slows down a lot after boot and the machines become fairly quiet.

    Is this a known "feature" of the Ultra 45 or is something wrong?

    Dave

    David Hollenberg, Apr 30, 2007

  2. David Hollenberg

    maxodyne Guest

    Great comment, David. I assume that the fan noise to which you are
    referring is coming from the three-fan module, and not the SPARC
    processor fan, the speed of which varies based on processor temperature.
    And this begs the question: the '45 has strategically located
    temperature sensors (AFAIK) on and around the motherboard. If the output
    from any of these sensors is able to control cooling fan velocities, can
    they be enabled to do so, and if so, how? I have pondered this same
    question, and searched Sun's website along with Google etc. and came up
    empty-handed.

    Anyone?

    maxodyne, May 2, 2007

  3. Hi,

    But the u45 is making about the same noise than the Blade 2000 and a
    2500 I would say!

    The 2500 has to high speed on both CPU fan and disks which causes fan to
    increase speed due to the air will not go out fast enough of the
    disk/cpu, if reducing the speed the temp will not go up and the noise is
    much less.

    /michael

    Michael Laajanen, May 4, 2007